Identifying a pipe in the cellar?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am about to have some work done in my cellar and we are trying to figure out what this pipe is. It runs along the front of our cellar (terraced houses) and presumably goes into each neighbours property. Although, they cannot confirm.

We are thinking its an old gas pipe? Can anyone confirm?

Here it is running along the wall and across the coal chute...

And this is about half way across the wall...

Here is our gas meter, which has a gas main coming in from the street. The unknown white pipe is not connected to the meter at all....

The electric comes in on another wall and water round the back of the house.

Any help would be appreciated.

If it is gas, how can we confirm if we can just cut it off?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Definately gas, it's an old meter position. Don't think you can touch it as A) it doesn't belong to you B) probably still live, if it is you have no way to isolate it and could land you in deep sh!t if it leaks :eek:

HTH Sam

OK thanks.

So how do we check if it is live or not? Can the gas people come and look and will they be able to cut it/re route it?

Its only about 2 inches in the way, but a fairly improtant 2 inches :)

Definately a gas pipe with old meter point and a capped off ECV. I would guess that it is probably not live, as it looks like you have had a new supply installed to your meter.However just to be certain you will have to contact the local gas transporter to check it

Sponsored Links
Thanks. Yes, there is definately a new supply coming in to the meter.

How do I find who my local transported is?

Will they charge to come and check it?

If you thought you could smell gas in the cellar, you could ring the (gas transporter - in my day Transco) emergency No on the front of the Meter. They would attend within 2 hours and check for gas leaks at all obvious sources. Which would mean also checking the pipe in question. This is a free service. However if they did find a leak which was upstream to the meter they would cap the gas supply. You would then need to employ the services of a RGI to find the leak, make repairs, and reinstate the gas supply

hopefully its live then you can use that one instead, much cheaper :D

Just in case any one is intereted. National Grid have arranged for an engineer to come and look for us - it ony took a quick email to ask. Nice and easy.

I shall let you know what the outcome is.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back