Identifying Asbestos

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey, first time poster. Thanks in advance for any advice.
I've knocked through a small hole in a wall and noticed white fibres sticking out of the plasterboard. They look larger and less concentrated than I would expect asbestos to be, but was hoping someone with more experience would be able to give me a 2nd opinion before I get it tested.
Hopefully there should be a photo attached to this question.
Thanks
Andy

Attachments

• PXL_20210602_164036006.jpg
    PXL_20210602_164036006.jpg
    334.2 KB · Views: 139
Sponsored Links
Probably fibreglass mesh joint tape but impossible to be certain without getting it tested. How old is the house? In the UK asbestos was totally banned in 1999.

Agree it looks like fibreglass, but agree for 100% it would need to be tested unless you can prove otherwise?

Problem or not?

it is totally impossible to see "Asbestos Fibers" with the naked eye !!!

To determine if it is Asbestos, the material must be closely inspected using a microscope, any bigger and the fibers could not get to the Lungs and cause serious issues??

Ken

Sponsored Links
Old Salt + CBW, i agree

in "Training" in a formal setting with a Certification at the end, you will be shown Industrial material.

Remember, the setting we are in here is a Domestic one, not a Boiler room in an industrial complex or similar.

And yes I have walked into Plant Rooms with old Calorifiers with massively damaged areas of one of the nasty Asbestos materials, about turn, hold your breath and bale out quick. OK a long time ago in a poorly run property with no appreciation of Asbestos.

Ken.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Old Salt + CBW, i agree

in "Training" in a formal setting with a Certification at the end, you will be shown Industrial material.

Remember, the setting we are in here is a Domestic one, not a Boiler room in an industrial complex or similar.

And yes I have walked into Plant Rooms with old Calorifiers with massively damaged areas of one of the nasty Asbestos materials, about turn, hold your breath and bale out quick. OK a long time ago in a poorly run property with no appreciation of Asbestos.

Ken.

Sorry, but just to confirm, what does "old salt +CBW" stand for?? Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back