? Asbestos

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I am querying whether this material contains asbestos.

My kitchen ceiling needs a small hole in so the plumber can access the waste pipe from my shower drain which is leaking.

He is reluctant to cut through the ceiling until we have made sure the artex ceiling doesn't have asbestos in.

I have had a firm come out and check the white artex and the report says it is asbestos free.
The asbestos company only took scrapings from the artex and did not test the more deeper plasterboard looking material. He said that the deeper material looks like plasterboard so there is no need to check.

I have attached photos from a small piece which was removed carefully. I am going to send this off to a lab where I hope they will rule out asbestos in it?

From peoples experience does this look like plasterboard, and are those fibres innocent?

I look forward to hearing from you

many thanks

Attachments

• IMG_7247.JPG
    IMG_7247.JPG
    515.5 KB · Views: 199
  • IMG_7248.JPG
    IMG_7248.JPG
    262.4 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_7249.JPG
    IMG_7249.JPG
    236 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_7245.JPG
    IMG_7245.JPG
    656.6 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_7246.JPG
    IMG_7246.JPG
    338.4 KB · Views: 179
Sponsored Links
That looks like horses hair used in lathe and plaster walls and ceilings, even the smaller fibres look like paper from the plasterboard probably used to over board the cruddy old lath and plaster ceiling, I'm 99.9% certain you can't see asbestos fibres with your naked eye so anything you see there probably isn't asbestos

Doesn't look like an issue to me. There are different kinds of tests. The one he performed is most common.

Maybe put a match to the fibres asbestos will not burn?
Not a standard test but seems logical, or just get that sample tested for a certain result.

Sponsored Links
You don't need to test plaster or plasterboard. Only textured coatings are potential ACM, and that's the guidance from the HSE.

Your plumber should know how to drill textured coatings safely in any case - using a gel or shaving foam around the hole to retain the dust.

Your plumber should know how to drill textured coatings safely in any case - using a gel or shaving foam around the hole to retain the dust.
Or using a drill with the appropriate (class H) vacuum extraction fitted

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back