Identifying elv wire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all, have run a 1mm t+e cable from weather sensor outside house, through loft and down to boiler, as its near other t+e live cables, is there something I should wrap or do to cable with to identify it that its not mains incase anyone else works on electrics on house? The cable is just for a sensor that the boiler watches the resistance on.

Sponsored Links
Im not a spark so will be interested in others comments, but I can see it do no harm. Im quite a fan of writing the description of use on the cable with a sharpie or biro.

There's no issue with insulation as the sensor cable is rated the same as the others, but what do the MI's say about proximity to mains cables, especially over long runs ?

There would be no harm whatsoever in identifying the cable at strategic points.

Low voltage (50-1000v ac) should be separated from extra low voltage (0-50v ac) by 50mm to the regs.

I wouldn't be running it through say, the same joist holes / spaces as lighting or other 230v circuits, and as ricicle says, I'd mark it at strategic points.

Sponsored Links
Low voltage (50-1000v ac) should be separated from extra low voltage (0-50v ac) by 50mm to the regs.

Doesnt that only apply if the insulation on the ELV cable is only rated for ELV?

If the cable carrying ELV has insulation thats rated for LV, then whats the problem?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back