Identifying Gas Cooker Supply / Fitting / Connector

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've just moved into a new house which previously had an all electric cooker. The previous residents have taken their cooker with them and I was resigned to having an electric (don't mind electric oven but gas hobs are the only way to cook IMHO).

Anyway, I've discovered this fitting on the wall in the cavity left by their old cooker
gas01.jpg

gas02.jpg

Is it gas or water? there is no stopcock or marking and it just disappears into the stone flagged floor. I don't want to call out a CORGI for him to tell me its a water pipe and I don't fancy taking the nut off the end in case someone has just capped a live gas pipe.

I would expect the water to be one of a pair (hot and cold) but this is just a solo pipe.

There is a pipe emerging from the meter in front of the house and heading off under the porch extension in the general direction of the kitchen but that is the only other clue...

Any ideas before I start a fire or flood of biblical proportions in my nice new house?

Sponsored Links
its a gas fitting, do not open, touch,bend etc.

your RGI will have 1 more fitting to attach to the one in your pic and you are ready to fit a cooker

;)

Thanks to Glasgowgas for a succinct and speedy response...

Now how can I tell if the gas fitting is still live?

as previously stated, your RGI will determine wether pipe is live or not

Sponsored Links
as previously stated, your RGI will determine wether pipe is live or not
Where's the fun for the op in that?

It's an interesting question though - whether there is any way of checking whether a pipe is live (gas or water) without having to open it up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back