Identifying shared neutrals

I'm not sure where you got the idea that I was only going to 'leave in' some of the lamps. Kind Regards, John.
Yeah, I'm not sure where I got that idea from, either. :)
But I typed slowly enough for you to be able to slip in your edit without it showing .... unfortunately for you, the pre-edit quote was already in my reply by then :)

Kind Regards, John.

Sponsored Links
JohnW2, yes that is how i test for it, lamps in, swithes on, test betweeen opposing L and N for continuity.

JohnW2, yes that is how i test for it, lamps in, swithes on, test betweeen opposing L and N for continuity.
Well, at risk of upsetting some of those who proposed various 'interesting' methods (none of which I think would have worked), dare I suggest that if one wants to know whether the path from L through lamps is ending up connected at the wrong N, the obvious thing to do would seem to be to simply test whether the path from L through lamps is ending up at the wrong N :) - which is what you and I would do.

I also think there may be some confusion in some people's minds between 'borrowed' (wrong circuit) and 'shared' (linked) neutrals. Both can occur, both can (usually will) result in RCD tripping unless both circuits are served by the same RCD and both would be detected by 'our' method. The borrowed neutral is, however, easily the more common.

Kind Regards, John.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back