Identifying waste / soil connection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, moved not so long back and have found this in the garage. It looks like an old soil pipe, just wondering if it is? and what the rectangular connector thing is on the top of it?

Thanks in advance!
IMG_1771.jpg IMG_2138.jpg IMG_1766.jpg

Sponsored Links
A lead connection (that's been squashed) to a previous WC perhaps
Look higher up the wall to see for signs of fixings for a high level flush tank

Thanks I'll take a look, the house is quite old (1900ish), so maybe it was an outside loo.

The base looks ceramic, so if I removed the lead bit would a modern 110mm pipe fit in? and how would that best be connected with cement?

Hi, moved not so long back and have found this in the garage. It looks like an old soil pipe, just wondering if it is? and what the rectangular connector thing is on the top of it?

Thanks in advance!
it's an air inlet - is there a manhole nearby - that could connect to it. The house must be old - those went out years ago.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, so is it ok to replace with an air admittance valve and discharge water into it (in theory) if it's still connected?
Can a plastic pipe be cemented in place of the lead or does it need an adaptor?

You'll probably find it enters a manhole up high, so you could discharge water into it - WC waste might not be good, splattering all over the manhole. What did you want to discharge ? You won't need a modern AAV because the original had only a mica flap to stop air coming out. In theory at least.Most got broken

I'd test to make sure it's still going somewhere before doing anything else, but with Nige there. It's not suitable for a WC connection, already have another on here where the builder has connected a WC to a former vent pipe and it's making an unholy mess in the chamber! https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/suggest-fitting-s-for-redirecting-soil-pipe-flow.543195/

If you do still want/need to connect, you'll need to carefully remove the remnants of the vent, (or cut the collar off the pipe), and fit a McAlpine DC1, which will take you from the salt glazed to 110mm plastic soil pipe.

That's really helpful, thank you both, thorough answers, I appreciate your time.

I will check if it's still connected to the manhole that's close by and take it from there. I was only planning connecting up an old sink in there for infrequent use so it wouldn't be the end of the world if it isn't viable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back