idiot who tiled

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Moved into house a couple of yrs ago and been doing gradual renovations as skint!!!! Anyway idiot that tiled bathroom just put tiles where there was a gap so they are side on, bits filled in etc etc - I sure u can imagine!!!
They tiled two full walls above bath and I would just like to put a few tiles as a back splash. The walls are old lathe and plaster so would really rather not take them off. I know I can tile over but as I do not want to go the full wall is there something available that I could use to sort of plaster over the rest of the tiles? that way I can paint them and not have to remove coving Ta Sarah

Sponsored Links
To be honest, you would do much better by saving up and doing it all properly. i.e. strip off all the tiles and lathe & plaster and re-board the walls from scratch. If you don't, all you are doing is storing up problems for yourself in the future.

That being said there are always ways to "get over" things short term.

You can plaster over ceramic tiles with normal skim coat as long as you use the proper primer.

This assumes that the existing tiles are fixed solidly to the walls. If not, then forget it and go with the expensive strip-off and start again!

Ardex make an epoxy primer: Ardion 82 (recently re-named 'Ardex P82 epoxy primer' I beleive)

paint this onto the tiles using a fine roller. once it has gone tacky, normal skim coat plaster will stick to it fine. then you can paint or tile over the top as you wish.

The primer MUST still be tacky when plastered or it won't work, so only apply the primer the day before plastering.

imo.. rip it down and start from scratch.
when you have the funds. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back