If it aint broke dont fix it

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been running a Potterton Kingfisher 2 (cast iron, floor mounted) for about twenty years and so far it has needed no attention. (£480 including labour to fit at the time.)

If I eventually decide to change this boiler, I am going to have to have a condensing boiler with all the built complexity (fans and electronics) and having seen the price of replacement parts, after the warranty runs out the money saved on my gas bills will be outweighed by the cost of maintenance I fear.

It seems to me that the cheapest option for me is to stick with my existing boiler for as long as possible, paying more for gas but (hopefully) little for replacement parts; nevertheless I am concerned that a service engineer might one day condemn the boiler just because in his mind it is old and he can't be arsed to get replacement parts.

Has anyone any experience of this? A knowledgeable neigbour has been running his boiler for almost fourty years - a Thorn I think he said it was - so what are my chances of getting a few more years use from my present boiler?

Sponsored Links
Indeed, stick with the boiler you have, not fantastically efficient but arguably better built. The issue will come if it ever does need parts, as they are rapidly becoming obsolete. Which model of Kingfisher 2 do you have? There are several, either beginning CF or RS

It's not so much that service engineers can't be bothered to get parts, it's simply that in many cases with old boilers they're simply not available any more.

Kingfisher 1st line spares will be around for quite a while.They are the bits that make it go.Gas valves thermostat etc.Other parts may not be.So either way its a gamble.Potterton(Baxi)would be able to advise on availability of spares. :) I've yet to go to one that I couldn't repair.

Sponsored Links
cracking boiler, same as the old mexico and bermudas. not rocket science to diagnose a fault. most parts still available. and good to see that someone has the sense to weigh up the cost of a replacement. as most dont understand that the carbon footprint for the factorys producing the parts for newer boilers would probably outweigh that of the older versions in the long run.

I am concerned that a service engineer might one day condemn the boiler just because in his mind it is old and he can't be a***d to get replacement parts.

Why would they bother to do that when they can just decline your invitation to attend over the phone.
Because if the service engineer stands to make extra money by condeming the boiler and consequently being able to sell and install a new one then many of them will. It's standard British Gas policy by all accounts.

Mathew

Again they can do that over the phone. eg;

Q "I have a 20 year old faulty Kingfisher can you fix it?".
A. "Sorry don't work on them, too old, can quote for a replacement".

Why would those who are in the business of maintaining Kingfishers go round needlessly condemning them?

I don't know what trade you're in but if you care to investigate I think you'll find gas repairs can be more profitable than swapping boilers.

I don't know what trade you're in but if you care to investigate I think you'll find gas repairs can be more profitable than swapping boilers.
There speaks a man who's obviously never seen a British Gas quote for a new install... ;)

It seems to me that the cheapest option for me is to stick with my existing boiler for as long as possible, paying more for gas but (hopefully) little for replacement parts;
I'm inclined to agree that that's a wise strategy. At least you are aware that it will not last forever and so you can start planning - strategically and financially - for its long term replacement.

nevertheless I am concerned that a service engineer might one day condemn the boiler just because in his mind it is old and he can't be a***d to get replacement parts.
Any condemnation has to be justified. Of course they can, and do, try it but as long as you're aware you should be fine. Of course you don't want to omit an engineer the opportunity to condem a genuininly unsafe boiler but you can cross that bridge when, or rather if, you come to it.

A knowledgeable neigbour has been running his boiler for almost fourty years - a Thorn I think he said it was - so what are my chances of getting a few more years use from my present boiler?
Absolutely, and he's in good company too. You cannot predict how long it will last - too many factors to consider - but it's a safe bet it'll last a lot longer than modern complex beasts which, like everything else, and usually made down to a price, and the spares market is a nice little (big!) earner for them.

Mathew

Again they can do that over the phone. eg;

Q "I have a 20 year old faulty Kingfisher can you fix it?".
A. "Sorry don't work on them, too old, can quote for a replacement".

Why would those who are in the business of maintaining Kingfishers go round needlessly condemning them?

And fitting modern boilers are a good investment for the future for repairers

Just don't get BG to service it. It will undoubtedly fail on some trivial matter. Although the engineer will have his laptop with him (no doubt containing the latest offers on new condensing boilers and little else). ;) ;) ;)

Would be interesting to see the deterioration of heat exchanger, burner etc with 20 years of neglect.

Just finished servicing a boiler that was stripped and serviced in February. The lint arrestors were well clogged, heat exchanger was sooted, pilot burner flame picture was c5ap. Imagine a timeframe times 48- hate to think what oine might catch from the boiler let alone it working as intended by the makers.

And fitting modern boilers are a good investment for the future for repairers

Not for the bloke who's fitted it. You try getting full price for parts & labour, on a breakdown boiler, which you've supplied & fitted, just outside warranty in this day & age.

There speaks a man who's obviously never seen a British Gas quote for a new install... ;)

The rest of us can't access their buying prices. Even so they've still had to drastically cut prices/include incentives to get boiler change business. I don't see them lowering monthly homecare rates though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back