If it's not one thing...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
...it's another!

having succesfully remedied the cistern problem in my new place (listed below in the forum) I have now noticed something odd – there appears to be a tiny trickle of water from the bottom of the bath overflow, along with a continuous (slow) dripping from the top, overhanging part. The overflow I am talking about is the one on tha bath itself that allows excess bath water to drain away. The water is cold and this would suggest it is coming from the supply in the cistern, as opposed to being connected with drained away, grey water.

I removed the bath panel last night (again, this was late, so I couldn't do much at the time) and saw the floor boards below the tap/overflow area are damp (as opposed to dripping wet).

I would assume this is down to the taps not being tight enough, although I am befuddled as to why water is coming out of the overflow?!

P.S. Anyone wanna buy a house?

Sponsored Links
The only place water can come from is from the bath as the overflow pipe connects to the waste and has no where for water to ingress other than
from an overfilled bath :eek:
Is it that the overflow pipe is not fitted onto the back of the waste properly or is there another source for the leak. :rolleyes: keep us posted

This is the thing – I could understand if the bath was running over into the overflow then as a result of a poor join, out the back of the bath, onto the floor, but the join/connection seems solid enough and impenetrable to me.

I'm sure it is somewhat far-fetched, but could water leak from the base of the (mixer) tap on the underside of the bath, round the underside and then leak out where the overflow is? The more I think about it though, the less plausibel it seems.

I think I certainly need to get a good look under there and see what's what.

Could be running down the outside surface of the bath then dripping off the overflow boss?
Dark loo paper is good for finding leaks because it goes extra dark when wet. I once told a customer about that, and how the yucky purple one popular in the 70's was the best though tastes had improved so you didn't see it any more. She handed me a roll... :oops:

Sponsored Links
Turns out the overflow from the topilet cistern is connected to the bath overflow, and where the cistern level was too high, the excess water was comeing from the bath overflow!

Very strange indeed – is this a normal practice?

Now I just need to get through another 3 rolls of purple bog roll...

You see it in internal bathrooms where there's no handy wall to poke the "overflow" pipe through. (We gotta call them "Warning pipes" now!)

They're called 'Wasteflow' traps (made by Osma). Combines normal bath overflow with a means of connecting up to four warning (overflow) pipes from C/W tanks, W.C.s etc. Drips into the bath and causes 'nuisance value' (so the householder gets it fixed!) Very usefull.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back