If it's not render, what is it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi. Just moved into a new home and it's a project to say the least. I'm trying to do as much myself as I can but getting tradesmen in for the tough stuff. The house is rendered and in very good condition, except for one 1m x 1m area which has bubbled, I've had a renderer around to quote to patch it up and to also render an extension which was left naked.

Here is the confusion, he's advised its not render but can't tell me what it is. Can anyone help? I've tried to add a couple of pics.

Tips on whether it's something you can diy would be appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
It looks like a textured paint!! Years ago there was a textured paint called Tartaruga that was used a lot. And yours looks similar to that. It looks like it might have been put on to hide the background before selling property...It looks like stone work underneath it and where it is "bubbly" is a place that you find that sometimes you get crackin where the lintol has been fitted over a door or window. The mortar underneath looks very "Sandy" (maybe sand and lime if it is an old house) scrape the rest of that area off and see what is underneath. Also put this post in the "painting section and see what the lads say...

I'd agree with Roy, it"s certainly looks like a textured paint. I don't think you would ever patch that up, even if you could get the original stuff. It would stick out like a sore thumb. As Roy said, it's probably been patched up for a quick sale. It's a different colour too. Is the piece in your hand a flexible/bendy material or a solid?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the comments, I'll add the question to the painting section to see what remedy they suggest, I need something to tidy it up for a few years until i have the money to render the property.

FYI - The colour difference is me, I've started painting the property but stopped short of the bubbled area.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back