if we have to come out again...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So there was a small hairline crack above the door in my house and about 2 yeas ago a builder came round and said 'you should get that looked at'.

I called the insurance company last year and a guy came out. He looked around and then signed a bit of paper saying 'no subsidence.'

fine I thought -i was quite glad about that. HOWEVER, before he left he said something that confused me. He said something like, 'if you call us out again it will be subsidence.'

Did I mishear this or is this some kind of policy? If you call them out again why would it automatically be subsidence?

Sponsored Links
Have you seriously been thinking this over for a year?

perhaps he meant "if it gets worse and you call us out again"

Sponsored Links
yamato, hi.

I tend to agree with John D. if it develops then call us again

A hairline crack in mortar does not indicate automatically that your property is suffering from Subsidence !

If your property is a relatively new build within say 10 / 15 years, then there is a good chance that if the affected wall is south facing? the causation of your hairline crack is a thermal related problem, in that in the Summer the wall will be heated by sunlight impinging upon it, the bricks expand, if the original Builder has missed or got the spacing of designed expansion joints wrong, tiny hairline cracks will occur.

The words you recall hearing from the insurance Surveyor do not ring true, having worked in this Industry, Insurance for some time now, it is a serious big NO, NO that I leave a policy holder with a Mis Conception as regards a decision.

As an aside has in the time frames noted the hairline crack worsened?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back