Igniter on grill not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The ignitor on our grill has started playing up. It doesnt 'spark' when the grill is off, but when you manually light the gas, it instantly starts sparking again when you press the button.

Just wondering if this is a common problem that can be easily rectified? I'm assuming the flow of flame is carrying the electricity better, so would bending the ignitor closer to the roof of the grill work??

Or do i need to look at replacing something?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If there is a time delay between the flame initiation and the sparker working again I'd say it has to do with sparker being heated.
You might be able to confirm this thermal link with a cigarette lighter.

But,
"The piezoeffect in piezoceramics is "trained", so unfortunately their high sensitivity degrades over time. The degradation is highly correlated with temperature. "

Yep, warming it up with a cigarette lighter it works fine, so appears it is temperature related...

So... how do i fix it?!

Yep, warming it up with a cigarette lighter it works fine, so appears it is temperature related...

So... how do i fix it?!
I think it is shot. How much for a new part vs. how much for a new grill?

Sponsored Links
Well, replacing the grill isnt an option...

Any ideas what the part i'm looking for might be (and what it's called??)
Is it just the white nub with the metal bit sticking out, or do I need to replace the connection etc?

Thanks

I think the smallest assembly you can replace and still be reasonably sure you are fixing it, is the knob you press and the white porcelain high voltage insulator with center electrode.

See if the maker will supply you with an exploded view or parts list or just ask a local distributor for your grill how to buy a new ignitor.

The idea is to make the cost of the part so expensive that you are on the fence about repairing the grill or replacing it. The grill maker knows how you buyers will respond on average, and DIYers are to be punished because they are 'a threat to the free market' or some such BS.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back