IGNORE- SOLUTION FOUND Loft Insulation & Downlighters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve recently had 8 x 20watt downlighters installed by builders in my bedroom. Since then, I have been up in my attic and have found that the builders did not put back the loft insulation where the downlighters have been installed. I am obviously keen to put the insulation back but I am concerned that the base of the now exposed bulbs will set my insulation alight (not good). I’m not sure what type of insulation it is, as the previous occupants laid it down (and I’m not an insulation expert). All I know is that it feels like wire-wool and is yellow and very old.

Has anyone got any ideas on whether insulation is flammable, and if so, any tips on safe ways to protect the lights from the insulation!

Thanks in advance!!!

Sponsored Links
as most glass wool/fibre insulators are very poor conductors of heat and are largely flameproof, (you could hold a blow torch on the stuff with little effect!) however the dust or fibres gathered within may cause concern. did they install heat shrouds?

No, they didn't. I might try taking a piece of insulation down and light it outside and see if its flammable!

GMC1001

All you need to do is, around every spot move the insulation so there is about 8" all way round the light

Sponsored Links
yeah,, i think the insulation causes problems with the lamps overheating not t'uther way round?

So, what was the solution then, please share as I will have this problem shortly. Depending on your roof and the type of lights you have installed you might find you end up with quite a few wasps/bees/insects etc falling down into your bedroom as they are attracted to the light. Pain in the arse if you are unlucky to get a wasp nest in your loft - I speak from experience!

JD

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back