Ikea kitchen mixer leaking at base of swivel head

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an Ikea mixer tap (photo below) that leaks at its base when the cold water is turned on. The leak is between the sink and the base of the tap. (Can just see it on the photo).

I am presuming new O-ring(s) will sort the problem out. Before I start, what is the sequence to gain access to the O-rings? And what size O-rings am I likely to need?

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
The tap looks like an IKEA Stockvik kitchen tap.

You pop the plastic blue/red stop out of the top lever, to expose a hole. Inside the hole is a small worm screw which loosens with a small allen key. You then take the lever off. Grip the chrome dome and unscrew by hand. Under that is a large brass nut, which unscrews with a decent sized spanner to release the cartridge. Grip the mounting which also unscrews, then twist/lift the faucet off. There are 3 large 45-50mm 'O' rings underneath, which I found to be worn on my IKEA Stockvik tap, and no doubt causing the leaking.

The problem is finding spare parts to replace on IKEA products. I went to a local plumbers merchants, Screwfix, B&Q and Toolstation and nobody could source the rubber 'O' rings, as they are apparently "non-standard." It looks like I'm going to have to buy a new mixer tap, all because of three 20p rings, so not impressed with IKEA, unless anyone can help sourcing the spare parts please?

Hi,

I have just come across the same issue. Have you managed to rectify your problem , or replaced a tap all together?
I have come across advice to replace a whole cartridge. Would local plumbing suppliers have cartridges for Ikea taps, or is the whole cartridge non standard as well?

I had the same problem with an IKEA kitchen tap. There is an easy fix, however. Temporarily remove the o rings and pad the recesses out with a little plastic plumbing tape. Then refit the o rings into the taped recesses. You will have no more leakage. Simple, and cheaper than buying a new tap. There are ways and means to combat marketing strategies!

Sponsored Links
The other contributors to this thread can now fix the leaky taps they have been putting up with for 11, 6 and 4 years.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
The other contributors to this thread can now fix the leaky taps they have been putting up with for 11, 6 and 4 years.:rolleyes:
Well I just searched the internet for this particular problem and found this thread. If the PTFE tape answer wasn't there I would still be searching.

Maybe don't be so smart and sarcastic towards users trying to be helpful.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back