Ikea kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've priced up a kitchen for a new project, and so far Ikea have come out cheaper than anyone else. This includes Magnet Trade (their cheapest option), B&Q, Homebase, Wickes etc. Is there any reason why you wouldn't go for an Ikea kitchen?

My dad is a carpenter and will be fitting it, so don't need to worry about dealing with rubbish installers or anything like that. I people's experience are Ikea kitchens siginificantly worse quality than anyone elses?

thanks in advance. all opinions appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I've priced up a kitchen for a new project, and so far Ikea have come out cheaper than anyone else. This includes Magnet Trade (their cheapest option), B&Q, Homebase, Wickes etc. Is there any reason why you wouldn't go for an Ikea kitchen?

My dad is a carpenter and will be fitting it, so don't need to worry about dealing with rubbish installers or anything like that. I people's experience are Ikea kitchens siginificantly worse quality than anyone elses?

thanks in advance. all opinions appreciated.

No Chris.
I dont think they are worse at all.
Pretty good quality TBO and much better than B and Qs offerings IMO.
I have fitted one to a property a couple of years ago and it was excellent. They even came out to measure it up for free as the order was quite large...another bonus is if you get them to measure it up and it comes with anything incorrect...you can get it replaced on them if the mistake is too bad to rectify through improvising.

Quality wise they are fine, though they only have hardboard backs. The main problems is that they have no service void behind the units so all pipes must run at low level or under the floor and your walls need to be dead straight.

The wooden worktops are a bit on the cheap side, if you are going for solid wood then source them elsewhere and get 650mm wide ones if you need to make a service space.

Jason

service space shouldn't be a problem as there is no existing pipework, it's all going in new so can run it under the cupboard.

not sure about the worktop, the ikea kitchen I like is quite a modern one and lends itself to their own laminate worktops as apposed to a wooden one (granite or corian would be too expensive). Might look elsewhere for a similar design worktop.

Sponsored Links
service space shouldn't be a problem as there is no existing pipework, it's all going in new so can run it under the cupboard.

not sure about the worktop, the ikea kitchen I like is quite a modern one and lends itself to their own laminate worktops as apposed to a wooden one (granite or corian would be too expensive). Might look elsewhere for a similar design worktop.

If ikea units are slightly different size from the norm do integrated appliances still fit in if you get them from elsewhere? ie, I want to get an integrated fridge/freezer from somewhere other than Ikea, will this still fit?

They do the doors at 600mm wide so there is no problem with width, their doors are slightly shorter at 700mm but should not be a problem.

Jason

If funds will allow ... go for their custom-made laminate worktop. The off the shelf ones only come in short lengths.

If you do get your worktops elsewhere - you need them deeper than 600mm, even if you don't need a void at the back. The IKEA cabinets are 600mm including the door.

I've also been considering my options for a splashback, I don't want to tile, I'd like something a bit different. It will run the length of the run of units (approx 3.5 metres). I was thinking about using another length of work top. Is this possible? or would it not stand the heat behind the hob. Or could I use the worktop, then put a piece of glass behind the hob?

Has anyone seen this done? Or are there some obvious reasons why not to do this.

The other option I have thought off is some conventional splashbacks, in black glass or dark wood, anyone know where I can get them?

You can buy matching splashbacks to go with laminate worktops that are about 6mm thick 3.0m long and 600mm high, they also do 1500x1200 for behind a hob, a lot easier than using another worktop.

Have a look at this pdf for an example of whats available. if you go back to the homepage you can order samples. It is also possible to cut the back off a 665 top to get that extra bit of width.

Jason

You can buy matching splashbacks to go with laminate worktops that are about 6mm thick 3.0m long and 600mm high

Presumeably not to match the ikea worktop that I have my eye on though?

sorry - that's a daft question - will have a look at their website.

I'm a great fan of Ikea. I put an Ikea kitchen into our last house. the quality knocked spots off similar priced kitchens from B&Q, Wickes etc. When looking around, I always made a beeline for the drawers, Ikea drawers are Rolls Royce quality compared to others. Was in Ikea last week, they have some fab units on display - bright red/ slate grey etc. One thing about their kitchens I like is that the edges usually have solid lipping if the doors are not solid - good for wear and tear. Make sure you take a look at all the display models in the shop. They get a bashing and I must say, Ikea are not quick to replace damaged units on display which is good for the shopper as you can see how they wear.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back