Ikea retractable tap hose fitting problem - any ideas?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks. Got a slight problem with the tap I've purchased for the kitchen. The better half chose it a few weeks back and didn't mention to me the one she chose has a retractable hose. Since then I did all the plumbing and waste for the new sink and needed to keep it 'low profile' so a 1/2 depth drawer could fit in front of it. Then I fitted the tap and realised I've engineered myself into a corner.

The tap has a long 'tail' loop which hangs under the sink (which is the excess slack for the hose when it's retracted) which is supposed to have a big heavy rubber weight on it - which pulls the the hose back inside the tap, a low-tech method of retracting it.

The problem is the weight is bulky and gets caught on virtually everything! Sometimes it jams on the way out under the supply pipes and other times it gets wedged on the way down into the U bend! I think it's a pretty bad design to be honest, you'd have to be pretty lucky (or do lot of planning ahead) to not end up with any pipe work directly below your tap hole.

upload_2019-3-19_15-19-56.png

Any ideas of how I could fix this without re-plumbing the whole thing? If I put the weight further up, the hose cannot extend far enough to be useful.

Thanks in advance for your ingenuity!

Sponsored Links
Get some plastic sheeting and make a vertical "tunnel" for the hose to run in.

Not a bad idea but I gave this a shot already and was unable to find a material that was flexible enough to make the tunnel in the confined space but strong enough not to crumple/deform as the weight came back down.

Hang it over the front of the horizontal waste pipe & ty-wrap the piece currently behind the vertical section to the front of it, just below the nut.

Sponsored Links
Hmm - I'll give it a shot. I fear that securing the other end will stop it being able to go up far enough to pull out fully.

Why have you directed your waste traps all the way to the back? Positioning them about 10cm more foreard should solve your problem right?
Because of this bin drawer! Also IKEA design o_O.

Actually the problem is even worse because with the drawer in I had to reposition the waste even further back and the hose can’t even go in front of the waste now so it naturally now coils up in the top. I think the game is up, she will just have to cope with a non-auto-retracting hose!

C278050B-AD63-45AD-BC50-6925CE7DC550.jpeg

78C81F33-E042-4358-AA52-4B7450AE346B.jpeg

I also got very lucky with this waste clearance on the upper drawer!

71433A07-5230-4599-A43F-DD33D1EA004A.jpeg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back