Ikea wooden worktops

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
These worktops are all fitted in my kitchen, and have been oiled as instructed. No real problems with them but they are difficult to wipe clean succesfully, crumbs and stuff are ok but they seem to attract and hold onto dust (they are not freshly oiled and not sticky to touch). I am working throughout the house on other repair jobs which create more dust than usual and I have no door on the kitchen at the mo, I am not a case for Kim and Aggie! Can these be matt varnished or will the oiling have made this impossible, or do they need to be left so they can be re-oiled? :confused:

Sponsored Links
heeelllooo claza

what "exactly" have you oiled them with!!!

Just the stuff they sell in a tin in Ikea to stop them drying out and/or splitting. Perhaps 'oiled' wasn't the best description! It's a milky white colour and it goes on with a cloth, then excess rubbed off. :)

rib them back and use 3 coats of Junckers rustic oil, resurface every year or so.

Sponsored Links
chappers said:
rib them back and use 3 coats of Junckers rustic oil, resurface every year or so.

Why use a solvent-borne, impregnating urethane hardening oil, when probably all that's needed is some patience to let it dry. Might take a month. Tung oil or raw linseed oil is a safer alternative, both are non-toxic. Glass of urethane anybody? :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back