I'm indecisive about what lights to buy.

I was wondering what are the best lights to get for my room?

• LED

Votes: 13 86.7%
  • Fluorescent

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Incandescent

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (please suggest below)

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As I've recently just moved into my new house I am on the lookout for some lights to brighten it up a bit! Interaction with the poll and feedback in the comments below would be appreciated thanks.

Sponsored Links
I put LED , but no idea what room, what decor, what the lighting is for , kitchen, Workroom, bedroom
Garage . Workshop
you need to specify what you want the lights for

We have small 40W LED candle wall lights,
9 Panel Led light under 1 run of kitchen cabinets
2 60W LED on a Dimmer over kitchem sink
B-I-L I put some panel lights Daylight rating in garage and 4 of those covering a small area , as it will be a workshop

BUT all changing to LED slowly

... We have small 40W LED candle wall lights, .... 2 60W LED on a Dimmer over kitchem sink
That may confuse the OP a little, since I presume the powers you are quoting are "incandescent equivalents" - since I cannot believe that you actually have either 40W or 60W LEDs !

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
That may confuse the OP a little, since I presume the powers you are quoting are "incandescent equivalents" - since I cannot believe that you actually have either 40W or 60W LEDs !
Opps - Sorry Yes "incandescent equivalents"
still thinking in "old money"

"I'm indecisive about what lights to buy"

I used to be indecisive but now I'm not so sure!

Damn...you beat me to it!

I would use LED these days.

There have been several generations of lamps, each better and more efficient than the last. You can get warm whites which mimic the old tungsten colour temperature. And they are easy to dim.

So to my mind, it's a no-brainer!

I have just been round the house and added stuff up.

In total there are 47 lamps in and outside the house. 10 are not LED.

5 of those 10 are fluorescent (3 x 2 foot and 2 x 6 foot).
5 of those 10 are tungsten (4 x 60W and 1 x 20W).

These 10 non-LED lamps account for 454W of the total lighting load.

The total lighting load before swapping to our current situation (of a majority of LED lamps) was a massive 3483W.

The total now is 1083W.

If I swap out all but 2 of the remaining lamps for LED (2 I do not want to change as they are part of an illuminated mirror cabinet set-up and it would be a right royal PIA to do), then that would reduce the 1083 to 840W.

LED.
No other option (as yet developed) is worth considering.
Depends on requirements.
For something like attic (and a few other situations) lighting, it's hard to beat the cost/benefit ratio of a flouro batten or two. Other than that, yes I'd agree - it's hard to think of many situations where LEDs aren't the "best" option.
However, LEDs do have some downsides. For one, GLS lamps (in particularly, dimmable ones) have a large unlit base part (housing the electronics) which can be aesthetically displeasing in some fittings. And there can be problems getting higher power lamps in some form factors - hence issues retro-fitting LEDs in some luminaires.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back