I'm Looking for energy saving advice ...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

We are running a kerosene burner, probably very inefficiently, and with the cost of oil rising it's time to think seriously about modernizing the system.

I know absolutely nothing about heating systems so I'll start by outlining what we have:

* Bungalow
* Kerosene boiler with a thermostat connected to it
* Time switch
* 10 Radiators (2 of the small ones are doubled)
* There are no TRVs on the rads
* There is no roomstat
* There is no fancy valve system allowing the CH to be cut off while still heating the immersion tank

We sometimes boost the immersion tank via its electrical heating element. (usually mid afternoon)

Two of the bedrooms are not in use very much.

Both the living room (containing 2 rads, and also an open fire in the winter) and the hall are on the large-ish size.

We also need hot water for the shower as we don't have an electric one.

I was wondering if fitting TRVs and perhaps a roomstat would help?

Thanks a million,
Bothy

Sponsored Links
bothyhead

reducing the temp of a house by 1degree equates to 10% saving. generally speaking the room stat will be the easiest and most will have most value.

rad stats on the other hand will undoubtedly offer energy efficiency savings but there are a number of considerations to be aware of not least of which is the state of the CH system. Dont throw good money after bad.

if you intend to stay in this house it may be worth considering upgrading the system and or boiler, but get some advice that is specific to your house before calculating any return on your investment.

but remember there is no point having an energy efficient system if you are losing heat through the roof walls and windows.

regards

bothyhead,most installations in ireland have little or no energy conservation put in place iwould suggest you fit trvs on the rads
fit a room stat,fit a tapstat to the hotwater tank[unless gravity]
these alone would give you savings on your fuel bill.now if you want to go the whole hog upgrade your hot water cly to a bs1566 and fit proper controls to the sys hope this helps

Just to reiterate the point about insulation. Firstly, what thickness of insulation do you have in loft? Probably worth going up to 150mm or even 200mm, since it's a very cheap measure to carry out. Draught proofing can also be very worthwhile on older properties. Then think about cavity wall insulation, double glazing, etc. And what about insulation of hot water cylinder and the pipes to it from boiler? Is this up to scratch?

You may find that the Irish Government have schemes to give advice and even help (possibly free?) to householders on energy conservation. Worth looking into.

Sponsored Links
HERE is a site to get you started it has links to other useful sites as well.
Dont know if theres any grants available in Ireland as there are here you will have to search the net for that one.

Many thanks for all of your replies. I will definitely look into upgrading the loft insulation and immersion lagging jacket.

Then think about cavity wall insulation, double glazing, etc

The house was built in the early 1970s so would it be save to assume that it has cavity wall insulation already in place?

Double glazing is part of the long term plan but I want timber window frames so it's going to be expensive.

Also, the living room, which is the largest single room, has two genuine leaded windows (lozenge shaped panes) - is there anything that I can to do improve the heat loss there?

i would suggest you fit trvs on the rads fit a room stat ...

Are these things that I would be able to install myself? (the room stat I should be able to manage - not too sure about the plumbing end though)

Once again thanks for all your replies.
Bothy

bothyhead said:
Many thanks for all of your replies. I will definitely look into upgrading the loft insulation ...............

Try here for an itch free job.

Double glazing is part of the long term plan but I want timber window frames so it's going to be expensive.

Need not be expensive, what type of window frames do you have now? Tropical hardwood frames are not a good investment compared to say properly treated softwood ones, but you do need the right paint, linseed oil.

Also, the living room, which is the largest single room, has two genuine leaded windows (lozenge shaped panes) - is there anything that I can to do improve the heat loss there?

Secondary glazing might help, but remember with all this heat saving stuff, you still need ventilation. Block up the draughts, and you get other problems which can be worse.

Are these things that I would be able to install myself? (the room stat I should be able to manage - not too sure about the plumbing end though)

Block the feed pipe from the header tank, and the vent pipe, then turn off the radiator valves, and have a drip tray and cloths ready and do the first one, you'll find wich tools you need (and haven't got), after that it'll be easy.

Fit a programmable room stat, then you can set it to drop the temperature when you don't need it high with out having to switch the system right off.

It looks like you have gravity water heating, it's worth changing this to pumped, and seperating it from the CH.

What make and model boiler is it?

Hi oilman

... what type of window frames do you have now? ...

They are white deal, I think, and they are starting to rot. I spent the first 2/3 weeks of the summer repairing and painting them. My plan is to replace them in 4/6 years time.

Block the feed pipe from the header tank, and the vent pipe, then turn off the radiator valves, and have a drip tray and cloths ready and do the first one

Do you mean that by turning off the radiator valves, that I can disconnect the radiator (with the water still in it) and then then carry it out side where i can change the valve to a trv?

What make and model boiler is it?

It's a Firebird popular 90 - A conventional flue boiler according to their website.

Rgds,
Bothy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back