I'm not doing anything naughty here, am I?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Just needing a sanity check please that what I'm doing here doesn't contravene any electrical (or other) regs.

I DIY'd our bathroom last year. The one thing I didn't do was find a space to fit a towel holder.

However, the other day when I was doing something else in our airing cupboard I hit apon an ingenius idea. There is a void of ample width between the cylinder cupboard and a solid wall to the right hand side of it. I figure I can construct a smart recessed towel rack/shelves in the void to save space in the room.

This room is on the first floor. It is a detached house with a ground floor first floor and second floor. The consumer unit is in the kitchen more or less directly beneath this location.

Conscious of the consumer unit location, tonight I made some exploratory holes in the plasterboard and found nothing to prevent me from opening up a nice tall opening, for said towel storage/shelving.

See picture of shape cut out of the plaster, and of the exposed void with cables now exposed from the consumer unit to various circuits.

I am aware that dry risers have an important function in taller buildings, but is there any reason to stop me constructing my recessed shelving in this location using some C16 and plywood in my home? I'll be going to about 50% the depth of the void and nearly full height. Obviously the wiring will be enclosed again once I am finished. I won't need to disturb any wiring during the work.

I did notice that there was plasterboard on both sides (front and back) of the studwork and so I have breached both layers, did this service any function other than insulative?

I'd be grateful for any advice to avoid me doing a naughty. If there is anything dubious about this I'd rather just for new plasterboard back again, skim and paint it over and forget about it.

Really grateful to anyone who wants to offer an opinion.

Cheers :)

Attachments

• PXL_20231023_191747998.jpg
    PXL_20231023_191747998.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 83
  • PXL_20231023_192638255.jpg
    PXL_20231023_192638255.jpg
    278.9 KB · Views: 87
Sponsored Links
P.S, this is an example of the kind of thing I was going for ....

Attachments

• c0b1fbdbb693f4778ee62843db06a5d5.jpg
    c0b1fbdbb693f4778ee62843db06a5d5.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 48
Not clear whether that is intended as a fire compartment wall, however you can still put the shelves in there.

Suggest you put 2x layers of plasterboard on the floor of that compartment so it's completely sealed off, and do the same on the ceiling of the compartment. May not be required, but will limit the spread of fire and prevent that compartment acting as a chimney if a fire occurred in the kitchen below.
Then install the shelves.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back