im starting 17th edition training friday

Sponsored Links
Not too many tags...

Learn to find your way round the book a bit beforehand.

And get more than 59/60.... ;)

Sponsored Links
Agree - fewer tabs the better - learn the layout of the Regs first - tab up just before the exam.

The exam is far more about knowing the layout of the Regs rather than any great electrical knowledge. 2381 show you know the regs; 2391 shows you know the electrics. Sorry for the old numbers.

There was a guy on the IET forum saying his group was the guinea pig group for no being allowed to tab up their books. So open book but no tabbing.

I am 4 weeks into my 17th edition 2382 course , the trainer suggested we make notes in the 'notes' section of the regs book , for example supplementary bonding page 13 etc , also make sure you spend a bit more time on the regs that have changed from 16 to 17th as they are bound to crop up in the exam.

And don't think you won't get questions on Caravan and boat sites- you will :LOL:

I did the 3 day and (being teachers pet) re-read the work of the day in the evening. Net result was 50 minutes doing the paper, 10 minutes checking a few I marked as 'go back to' and 93% because I'm thicker than some round here.

By the day of the exam you likely to get 75% of the questions right without touching the 'book'.

When you do need to check something, it's just a matter of knowing where the main bit is, and looking out for any other section cross over rules.

Having done the 16th last year then just completed the 17th (100% :D ), I found that identifying which 'Part' the question is aimed at was the first step (definitions, special locations are obvious and easiest). Once you know which 'Part' to look in, if your tutor has done their job correctly, there is a good chance you will have highlighted the area already. I didn't use tabs as it was quicker looking at the contents page than searching through lots of tabs. What I did do though was create my own alphabetic 'index' in Excel using my own syntax (ie EFLI Tables page 49) then stuck this inside my book (I checked first that this was permissable). Also, don't spend ages on a question, if you can't find the answer within a minute, flag it, if you THINK you know the answer, answer it, but still flag it. There will be some questions you will answer in seconds allowing you extra time at the end to go back and find/check the answers to the flagged ones.

Started today (not friday) heavy going, our tutor told us you need to get 36 questions correct (24 wrong) to have a minimum pass, is this correct.

I think and others on the course agree that when you read a question its knowing where to start which is hard, the tutor has said that many people don't consult the main index at the back of the book which apparently helps.

I am not that good at working out formulas and the math so will be posting a few things here for some help in the next couple of days.

Agree - fewer tabs the better - learn the layout of the Regs first - tab up just before the exam.

The exam is far more about knowing the layout of the Regs rather than any great electrical knowledge. 2381 show you know the regs; 2391 shows you know the electrics. Sorry for the old numbers.

That's what surprised me, the course wasn't so much about the 17th edition so much as a course and exam in referencing the regs. So someone please explain to me why NICEIC said I had to do it, given that, as a reference manual, the 17th edition is fundamentally similar to the 16th edition?

There was a guy on the IET forum saying his group was the guinea pig group for no being allowed to tab up their books. So open book but no tabbing.

Didn't bother tabbing/marking/highlighting mine. 59/60

Gotta do 2391 soon. (Apparently with 17th in full swing no-one doings the course.) Any tips on that?

[quote="hairyben";p="1023366Gotta do 2391 soon. (Apparently with 17th in full swing no-one doings the course.) Any tips on that?[/quote]

Be methodical & by the book on the rigs, as for the paper most of it you'll know if you are up on the test/inspection aspect of the job & swat up before hand.

Having said that I've not done the new 2391 so how much has changed in the written side I dont know.

3 weeks into the 10 week course, took 2 mock exams from a book called "exam success - IEE wiring regulations 2382-10" and got 60/60 for each in around 80 mins each test..

but the questions were in section order as in the regs..

are the questions on the GOLA test in order or are they random? cause that will be a pain to go from section to section..

My recollection is that the order was random. As it happens, owing the the randomising process, I got a question twice, except that the wording was just slightly different.

Mine was very much in the order of the Regs - easy scoping at start; then definitions with caravans etc at the end. Made it easy to see where the answers to the questions you weren't sure on were going to be.

36/60 seems a scandalously low pass rate to me. There were those on my course that were getting 80% or so and I'm glad I'm nowhere near them as frankly some of their knowledge or lack of it was frightening.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back