IMI Eclipse - delta t

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I recently purchased 5 IMI Eclipse TRVs and I have a question regarding Flow setting; I found how to calculate Radiator Output (Q) but couldn't find any info on which (delta t) I should select (10k, 15k, or 20k).
So, can you please provide a brief explanation about how to pick the right delta t?

regards.

Sponsored Links
Not really sure what you are asking ? Delta T is Temperature differential and would not be measures in 10K, 15K or 20K

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Not really sure what you are asking ? Delta T is Temperature differential and would not be measures in 10K, 15K or 20K

Eclipse TRVs are auto-balancing, each valve can be set to a different flow rate based on radiator performance and system deferential temps.

The user manual of the TRV shows the flow setting of different radiators at 3 different delta t.

I know the output of each rad in watts but I'm not sure which flow setting value I should choose out of the 3 possible ones.

More details here https://assets.imi-hydronic.com/Doc...er/Low/Eclipse_TRV-pack_DX_GB_instruction.pdf

Last edited:
Basically 5k would be for heat pumps, 10k for standard efficiency boilers, and 20k for condensing boilers.

However, that assumes the heating system has been specifically designed for one of these temperature differences, which very very few have (actually been designed that is)

The next issue you face is do you have more than 5 radiators? if so its a bit of a pointless exercise as you will then have uncontrolled flow rates through the non-flow regulated radiators which will alter the Delta T at the heat source so making the purchase of the new valves a little pointless.

Last issue is, that unless the boiler is the exact size for your system (ie not a combi) then the chances are that if you did set the system up with the exact flow rates that you would expect, then most of the flow will need to bypass to the return, heating the return before it re-enters the boilers heat exchanger, which in the case of condensing boilers will drop the efficiency.

I tried the eclipse valves as an experiment a few years ago, and removed them. Don't get me wrong, they do the job wonderfully, they will maintain an pretty exact flow of water across a radiator with surprising accuracy (although I found them to be rather audible) however is that whats best for your system? balancing via strangulation of radiator flow is not the correct way to balance a system for efficiency, if efficiecny is the primary goal then you need to be very carefull how you go about it, as most gimmicks and products are no match against actually knowing how to set a heating system properly.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Sponsored Links
Basically 5k would be for heat pumps, 10k for standard efficiency boilers, and 20k for condensing boilers.

However, that assumes the heating system has been specifically designed for one of these temperature differences, which very very few have (actually been designed that is)

The next issue you face is do you have more than 5 radiators? if so its a bit of a pointless exercise as you will then have uncontrolled flow rates through the non-flow regulated radiators which will alter the Delta T at the heat source so making the purchase of the new valves a little pointless.

Last issue is, that unless the boiler is the exact size for your system (ie not a combi) then the chances are that if you did set the system up with the exact flow rates that you would expect, then most of the flow will need to bypass to the return, heating the return before it re-enters the boilers heat exchanger, which in the case of condensing boilers will drop the efficiency.

I tried the eclipse valves as an experiment a few years ago, and removed them. Don't get me wrong, they do the job wonderfully, they will maintain an pretty exact flow of water across a radiator with surprising accuracy (although I found them to be rather audible) however is that whats best for your system? balancing via strangulation of radiator flow is not the correct way to balance a system for efficiency, if efficiecny is the primary goal then you need to be very carefull how you go about it, as most gimmicks and products are no match against actually knowing how to set a heating system properly.

Thank you for the insight, very informative.
The reason for replacing the valves is that I recently installed a TADO system and two of the valves are not playing nice and no amount of wd40 and other tricks I found online have helped, so I'm replacing them anyway.

I live in mid-terrace Victorian 3bed house, it has 5 rads, one towel rail and a combi boiler, I moved in 4 years ago and never touched the valves before this winter so I'm not sure if rads are even balanced so efficiency is not high on my list, at least not at the moment as I only started learning about heating this week.

So in light of info you provided and my situation I guess setting the valves to the highest flow and letting TADO do the controlling is the most suitable course of action, right? Or do you think there is a different way of doing things that will yield better results?

Regards.

Thank you for the insight, very informative.
The reason for replacing the valves is that I recently installed a TADO system and two of the valves are not playing nice and no amount of wd40 and other tricks I found online have helped, so I'm replacing them anyway.

I live in mid-terrace Victorian 3bed house, it has 5 rads, one towel rail and a combi boiler, I moved in 4 years ago and never touched the valves before this winter so I'm not sure if rads are even balanced so efficiency is not high on my list, at least not at the moment as I only started learning about heating this week.

So in light of info you provided and my situation I guess setting the valves to the highest flow and letting TADO do the controlling is the most suitable course of action, right? Or do you think there is a different way of doing things that will yield better results?

Regards.
I think what @ScottishGasMan was politely explaining was, with your set up , lust let the valves do what they are designed to do and leave it alone

Pretty much.

If you need to fit them to replace faulty trvs then use the app to find the setting value for each rad size you have, but set them to a higher flow ie DT5 to 10. They take 2 seconds to adjust so csn always alter them later to find best set up for yourself

delta t is a measurable value outcome of a consequence of heating design, predicated on the structure to be heated.
You can't alter the pressure or the flow rate so it is all down to the radiator choice (which can only be size)(well, mostly)

The calculations will determine what the required heat output of the room radiator needs to be in order to heat the room to the desired temp (taking into account the room heat-loss (and whole house loss). (not forgetting to add air changes to the calculations.)

So once you set the flow temp then you can calculate the volume of water required across the radiator which will give you physical size requirement. When you are trying to reduce the delta t to maximise efficiency and comfort, the TRV's serve no purpose.
My radiators have them but only because they were supplied with the purchase.
My delta T today (been 0 outside all day and there is a wind chill down to -1/2, my flow temp is now 52 degrees and my delta T is currently a very high 19 degrees (normally it's 10-11)

delta t is a measurable value outcome of a consequence of heating design, predicated on the structure to be heated.
You can't alter the pressure or the flow rate so it is all down to the radiator choice (which can only be size)(well, mostly)

The calculations will determine what the required heat output of the room radiator needs to be in order to heat the room to the desired temp (taking into account the room heat-loss (and whole house loss). (not forgetting to add air changes to the calculations.)

So once you set the flow temp then you can calculate the volume of water required across the radiator which will give you physical size requirement. When you are trying to reduce the delta t to maximise efficiency and comfort, the TRV's serve no purpose.
My radiators have them but only because they were supplied with the purchase.
My delta T today (been 0 outside all day and there is a wind chill down to -1/2, my flow temp is now 52 degrees and my delta T is currently a very high 19 degrees (normally it's 10-11)
you dont really get out much do you ?

you dont really get out much do you ?

the changes to part L are now dictating a flow temp of 55 degrees centigrade as the maximum (75 degrees before this)
so the delta t value will now be (assuming a room temp at 20 degrees) 35 degrees.

As the older design in the UK was based on a delta t of 50, the onus is now on the "heating engineers" to adapt and adjust.
No longer can they "guess" what a home needs in terms of heat. No longer can they ignore heat loss calculations and radiator sizing.
There is of course the added element that they can never be wrong as they self declare they are right but that's an issue of money that needs addressing in the same way energy providers business model needs overhaul

Are the "heating engineers" of today capable of such mathematical calculations and do they have the basic understanding of physics? Well clearly not as the need for forced changes to part L indicate.

There are zero academic qualification prerequisites in maths and physics for training as a "heating engineer" yet "engineering apprenticeships" require 5 or more GCSE's which include maths, a science and English.
Will changes to part L mean a higher standard or will the "I can do no wrong because I pay protection money to Capita" be the leveller?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back