Immediately Disappearing Voltage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have problem with my Asus laptop charging.
After plugging in the power supply the only way to get the charging light to stay on was to move the wires going into the power supply plug. When the light did stay on, the laptop would fully charge. I assumed I had a broken wire in the charging lead so I cut open the lead tested the voltage on the cut wires coming from the power supply. The strange thing is when I connect the DVM I to the power supply I get a fraction of a second correct reading 19.5 volts then it immediately disappeares, this happens every time I check the voltage.
Thank you for any help given

Sponsored Links
Whilst it could be the wires or the connections to the charging plug it's much more likely to be the charging port on the laptop. The soldered connections to the motherboard can go intermittant and cause that sort of problem.

The strange thing is when I connect the DVM I to the power supply I get a fraction of a second correct reading 19.5 volts then it immediately disappeares, this happens every time I check the voltage.

Some PSU's do shut back down, if they discover there is no load connected to them. The only way to test properly, is with the lead connected to the laptop, and drawing current.

The usual problem is either the lead breaking close to the plug, or the soldered connection between socket and motherboard becoming intermittent.

Sponsored Links
Very interesting reply's. As like you I suspected a loose charging socket, after stripping the laptop down to the motherboard I found that the charging socket was sound, no brake in the solder joint or loose pins. But I find the PSU shut down theory very interesting. I will connect the PSU leads to the plug leaving the bear wires, plug it into the laptop and measure the voltage under load.
Thank you for your suggestions

Back