Laptop wireless problems

RMS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

My partner's father has just bought a laptop and they have broadband with wireless re-router. The laptop works fine when the power supply lead is plugged in but not when the laptop works off its battery.

He rang the internet provider and they said the problem is with the laptop so he took it back and bought a different model but is now having the same problem. The internet provider provided the re-router and set it up. They say it wont be until Feb until the can attend to it and he will be charged.

The broadband speed is 1Meg.

Anyone have any ideas?

Sponsored Links
I know but just cant understand why the new laptop has the same problem. Also when he returned the first laptop they tried it in store and it worked fine wireless off the battery.

I would have a look myself but my knowledge with computers is very limited :confused:

Just looking on my laptop, mine has an option in the network card software/driver to adjust the power settings for signal strength and power consumption v adapter performance. This on mine is set to auto. Wonder if yours is turning the power down or switching it off when the laptop is switched to battery to conserve power? One of our inhouse experts will be along in a minute.

Sponsored Links
Yes, this sounds likely. Mine has a slider which allows the performance/battery life ratio to be adjusted.

Look at the properties of the wireless network adaptor in device manager.

Thanks for the responses.

Had a look and it has a setting of 11-38 and auto. Changed to auto and the problem still exists.

Back