Immersion Heater - Econ 7 - Swapped... only boost working.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I've had new immersion heaters fitted as the old ones started to leak, the top and bottom ones, the top one leaked and shorted out the bottom one.

So had the insurance out to get them replaced which they did, top immersion works (boost) but the bottom one doesn't as its econ 7.

insurance company are being awkward saying that if you've got hot water its not our problem, had the energy company out an he had a look at the mains box an he said its the box that automatically switches to econ 7 at night.

I have no idea what to do now!!! need to get this sorted, obviously can't get someone out after midnight to check it - so no idea if I have econ 7 coming in, or the circuits fried etc.

I can get pics etc later on if they are of any use? I'm based in bedfordshire.

thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
I was advised by the insurance company to get EDF energy out to check the electric meter as that might be faulty and not switching to econ 7 at night or something.

He advised me it was all electronic (property is 6/7 years old), and that the problem would be indoors somewhere!!!

the bottom one doesn't as its econ 7.
That's a non sequitur.

obviously can't get someone out after midnight to check it
You don't need to - any competent electrician can check that there's continuity on the circuit.

so no idea if I have econ 7 coming in
You must have, if it worked properly before.

It sounds as though you have a dual rate meter, not two of them with separate off-peak circuits, in which case there will be a timer on the IH circuit which makes the main element only come on during off-peak.

My money is on that being shagged if you had a fault downstream of it.

Sponsored Links

I'll have a look into getting an electrician in to check, had British Gas in an they changed a few bits, but said can't check anything etc. because there was no feed until off peak times!!!

he didn't do much in way of checking, just used his multi meter on the points coming in an got no feed at all!!!

any recommendations on a local electrician in or around bedford?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back