immersion heater faulty thermostat, recent news

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it the norm to have the domestic hot water expansion pipe to loop over a cold storage tank that plumping hot water discharges into,if the case there are many accidents waiting to happen as recently seen in tragic case of cws bursting.

In my own house and many more they have the expansion pipe from hot water cylinder (domestic) protrudes up through loft and roof of the property in a swan neck type and any of hot water can safely be discharged.

Although the immersion heater thermostat was faulty is it not a design fault of the plumbing also.

Sponsored Links
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=37170&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30

see 36

Yea i know that thermostats safety has improved greatly, but how many households have unsuspecting faulty therostats fitted from years gone by.

All im saying is with hot water discharge on to roof seems to me to be an added safety measure and a far better option than into cws tank if at possible.

Sponsored Links
kenny101 said:
Is it the norm to have the domestic hot water expansion pipe to loop over a cold storage tank that plumping hot water discharges into
It's a legal requirement for a vented system.

if the case there are many accidents waiting to happen as recently seen in tragic case of cws bursting.
That was caused by an incompetent cistern installation, and merely triggered by a faulty thermostat.

Yea i know that thermostats safety has improved greatly, but how many households have unsuspecting faulty therostats fitted from years gone by.
About 3.6 million homes, if the news reports are to be believed.

All im saying is with hot water discharge on to roof seems to me to be an added safety measure and a far better option than into cws tank if at possible.
Not an unreasonable suggestion.

If house surveyors were in any way competent then they would spot these kind of problems before you bought the house.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back