Immersion Heater/Hot Water Tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

Need some advice. My Mother lives in an all electric house and gets Hot Water via an immersion heater (on a timer/cheap overnight electricity).

She called me today 'cause she had no hot water. Over i go, check all the fuses/switches etc. Check water flow...all ok.

I said "it could be your immersion has blown" say's I.

"Oh well", she say's, "it was about time to replace it, i've got a spare one in the cupboard"

????????? :eek: :eek:

It turns out, that until my Father's recent death, he was replacing the Immersion Heater about every 18 months during the last 5 years or so. He bought a spare one so as not to be "caught short".

This last one only lasted a year.

So i have replaced it and all seems ok. I tried to look into the tank (fat chance!!) to see if there is something wrong. The element i took out was completely corroded through and had "blown" right at the end where it "folds over". There was no limescale on it.

Could it be that there is a lot of Scale in the bottom of the Tank that is preventing proper circulation around the element?? or perhaps touching it and causing it to corrode?? maybe the tank could do with replacing
The tank itself is 38 years old and the immersion is right at the bottom of the tank

Any thoughts appreciated

Matt

Sponsored Links
If you took an immersion heater out of a 38 year old copper cylinder then you are a braver man than me :LOL:

Mind you, most people are.

I am with you elite

no way

I really cannot think why its blowing so kwik,

hi guys,

enlighten me....i'm just a bloke with a spanner. Why shouldn't i replace an immersion in an old cylinder?? is it that i might damage an old hardened thread or something?

Also, any advice on what to replace it with...are there good cylinders and bad ones??
The existing cylinder has a smooth metal outer jacket, looks a bit like a big (white) tin can, with some kind of foam insulation in between. In the past i had a copper cylinder with a big "duvet" strapped round the outside. Modern ones i have seen have got a foam outer coating.

i guess i could just call the plumber i have used in the past, but a larger sample of opinions would be welcome.

cheers matt[/quote]

Sponsored Links
sacraficial anodes and electrolosis and all that spings to mind, sorry not compusmentus enough to put it all together :oops: drink got the better ;)

You can get better quality immersions, think they are titanium ones or something, bit more expnsive but should last better with poorer quality water.

Has your mother got a fortic tank? Header on top of main cylinder?

gas4you said:
You can get better quality immersions, think they are titanium ones or something, bit more expnsive but should last better with poorer quality water.

Has your mother got a fortic tank? Header on top of main cylinder?

incaloy ones aint bad

Well Boys....... :oops:

It seems that if you replace the immersion heater in a 38 year old tank, it can develop a leak. Not from around the immersion heater itself (thats all sealed up like a goodun) but from somehwere where the flange joins the tank itself. I guess from the stress of removing and installing multiple immersions??

So now i know what can go wrong...don't I!!!!!

Anyway, now the Plumber is going to arrange to fit a new tank.

Ah well, my Mum still loves me...

Thanks for all the replies.

Matt

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back