Immersion heater in indirect cylinder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have recently moved to a new build house. In our airing cupboard we have a Range Tribune HE indirect water cylinder, with a separate gas boiler in the kitchen. The cylinder has an immersion heater fitted. Connected to the whole thing are three electric cables - one going to the immersion, and the other two are I think going to the thermostat, and something that looks like a pump maybe? The three cables go into the wall, and next to this entry point is a single electrical switch.

Is this the normal setup, with only a single switch for these three cables? Presumably this means that I can't manually switch the immersion on or off - I guess it is meant to be switched on all the time (so that the thermostat works) but only kicks in when the boiler isn't heating the water enough to reach the required temperature.

Sponsored Links
the switch is probably for the immersion heater. It should be turned off except when your boiler is out of action. The pump and thermostat will be tuned off when the supply to the boiler is tuned off.

Post some photos if you want better guesses.
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=129539

Ah ok, I did wonder. So if that's the case, can the thermostat etc only be turned off at the main fuse box? I will try to get some photos later.

the thermostat and pump are connected to the boiler. So when the boiler switch is off, they will be off. There is probably an isolating switch next to the boiler.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back