Immersion heater overheated (Ed.)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We live in an all electric house, with an immersion heater, we live with the bottom booster off and top one on as we only use the boiler for the washing up of an evening and shower in the morning.

However, yesterday had a plumber attend due to no hot water whatsoever, he advised the safety on the thermostat had tripped and reset it and advised me how to in case it happens again.

This morning we’ve had the same issue and I’ve reset it, but noticed scorch marks on the thermostat around the connection. This cylinder etc were only replaced in October 2023 too…

My questions are:
1) Is this normal? If not, is this a big job?
2) Based on the hot water usage, is there a better option for heating our water?

Any help would be very much appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_1375.jpeg
    IMG_1375.jpeg
    150.2 KB · Views: 35
Sponsored Links
If the reset has again tripped then replace the stat. Not a big job.
No draining down.
Get a sparky in to do it and ask that they also check the supply to the immersion.

Ideally, the bottom immersion heats the water from the bottom on a cheaper overnight tariff and the top one is used to top up/boost hot water, if you run out during the day.

If it was installed brand new in Oct 23 and came with immersions and stats, then check out warranty cover repair.

Try turning down the heat setting and then reset it. It could be set to high and too close to the trip setting

Try turning down the heat setting and then reset it. It could be set to high and too close to the trip setting

It's at 60° which is the default setting.
Don't want to get into legionella territory.
But could try 55.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back