Immersion Heater problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone
I'm sure problems like mine have been shared numerous times before, but here goes.

We have a large copper immersion heater tank which is heated by a 27" single heating element that sits on the top of the tank.

We've had problems with it recently, in that it stopped heating the tank. So, as has been done in years gone by, we bought a replacement (full replacement, not just the thermostat) and got it changed.

Now, the thing is set up at the same temperature, and on for the same length of time, yet does not produce the same results.

Last week, we could stick the immersion heater on for around an hour and it would be hot enough to have a fairly deep and fairly warm relaxing bath, if you drained the tank of all its hot water. But this was OK as you knew it'd only be an hour and the tank would be hot enough for the next person.

Any ideas what might have changed?

Sponsored Links
Its worth checking a few things.....
1) What is the kW rating of the new element
2) Are you certain its the same length
3) Are you certain the temperature on the thermostat is set to 60 degrees?
John :)

Its worth checking a few things.....
1) What is the kW rating of the new element
2) Are you certain its the same length
3) Are you certain the temperature on the thermostat is set to 60 degrees?

1) I don't know, but it is identical make/model as the last one
2) Yes, as it is an identical make/model as the last one
3) Yes, infact it's actually 65. Does that make a difference? (I mean, it being above 60... obviously)

You need to rate it's consumption, when cold read the electric meter, and then switch imm, on then check reading again in 15 mins, it should be drawing about 2.6-3kw

Sponsored Links
The higher the stat is set, then the hotter the water should be, obviously.
I'm just wondering if the replacement element is of a lesser kW output (they used to be 3 kW but I'm not sure what they are now) than the original?
Failing that, maybe the stat is defective (you'll know when the thing is working by looking at your electric meter).
I can't see any reason for your problem, assuming the new element hasn't become furred up all of a sudden!

You need to rate it's consumption, when cold read the electric meter, and then switch imm, on then check reading again in 15 mins, it should be drawing about 2.6-3kw

Provided he accounts for the reading on the meter for 15mins use, which means his reading on the meter would be up by a quarter of 2.6-3Kw)
i.e. roughly up by 0.6Kwh to 0.75Kwh excluding any other electrical load in the house. So switch off all major appliances, leaving a few smaller items on is fine, like telephone chargers etc, but switch off tV and fridge whilst doing this test or allow for that in the calculation.

Most probably the new one is made in China!

Not sure how the KW consumption would be any less than the previous heater as it is exactly the same.

Could there be intermittent contact from heater to timer switch?

ie, could that have been disturbed during installation?

I have checked all connections and temp is set at 65 as I said previously.......

Is it likely 2 identical makes/models of heater would have different ratings?

Forgive me, but I have no idea about plumbing and even less of an idea about electrics and KWh :rolleyes:

I think you need to be getting an electrician round there if you are unable to do the tests we suggest, sorry time to spend some money but it should be worth it.

But quite simply, there is a way if you don't want to spend money on calling an electrician only to be told that your immersion heater is indeed 3kW RATED.

so why not take 2 sets of meter readings, one set without the immersion heater on, and one set with immersion heater ON. and give those to us and we can work out and confirm what your element is rated at.

Take the first set of reading at exactly say 15 minutes apart, when the immersion heater is OFF, wright down both starting and ending readings
taken 15min apart on a paper, from your electric meter, include the last two digits in red as well,

So hand us these two sets of readings.
(this first set will tell us your household's electrical consumption without the immersion heater on) try not to use any thing new during both tests, leave those things on that were already on and leave those off those were already off.)

Next, do the same but this time with your immersion heater ON, and exactly 15min apart, timing is quite important right down to the last second as the accuracy depends on it. this second reading set will tell us what your consumption is when the immersion heater as well as your other appliances which were on, so if you give us these two sets of readings taken precisely 15 minutes apart each set, we can work out from that and let you know what your immersion heater power is.

can't be more simpler than this.

But quite simply, there is a way if you don't want to spend money on calling an electrician only to be told that your immersion heater is indeed 3kW RATED.

so why not take 2 sets of meter readings, one set without the immersion heater on, and one set with immersion heater ON. and give those to us and we can work out and confirm what your element is rated at.

Take the first set of reading at exactly say 15 minutes apart, when the immersion heater is OFF, wright down both starting and ending readings
taken 15min apart on a paper, from your electric meter, include the last two digits in red as well,

So hand us these two sets of readings.
(this first set will tell us your household's electrical consumption without the immersion heater on) try not to use any thing new during both tests, leave those things on that were already on and leave those off those were already off.)

Next, do the same but this time with your immersion heater ON, and exactly 15min apart, timing is quite important right down to the last second as the accuracy depends on it. this second reading set will tell us what your consumption is when the immersion heater as well as your other appliances which were on, so if you give us these two sets of readings taken precisely 15 minutes apart each set, we can work out from that and let you know what your immersion heater power is.

can't be more simpler than this.

it can be a hell of a lot simpler if he has either a multimeter or a clamp meter! {multimeter for a more accurate result)

Mind you the KW rating at a given voltage should be written on the cover

Matt

it can be a hell of a lot simpler if he has either a multimeter or a clamp meter! {multimeter for a more accurate result)

Mind you the KW rating at a given voltage should be written on the cover

Matt

Yes Matt, sure but you would assume that if a person is capable of owning a digital multimeter,or a clamp meter, then he would surely not have to come on here to ask what his problem was.

So his best bet is either get an electrician and pay him to confirm or give us his meter readings so we can work it out for him.

So his best bet is either get an electrician and pay him to confirm or give us his meter readings so we can work it out for him.

And if his problem is due to a faulty stat that's cycling during your 15 mins of on time or an intermittent connection etc???

And if his problem is due to a faulty stat that's cycling during your 15 mins of on time or an intermittent connection etc???

Thats easy Matt, if an intermittent issues were the problem, then his meter reading would reflect that and confirm that his overall average consumption in that time span was lower than expected.

this would then enable you to look for causes responsible for a lower reading which could be as you said an intermittent connection, or a faulty thermostat, I would hate to find an intermittent connection on a 3Kw heating element as that would be a recipe for fire!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back