immersion heater problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been in my current house for a year. In the last two months the neutral wire connected to the element of the immersion heater has burnt out twice. What causes the neutral wire to burn out? And can anybody suggest what might have caused it to happen after all this time of being fine. I want to know so I can explain the problem to whoever is going to come and fix it properly.

Sponsored Links
When your neutral burnt up the first time did you replace the whole flex (i'm assuming it was the flex to the heater itself) or did you strip the cable back past the damaged section as the copper degrades after heat damage and will possibly burn up again due to high resistance.Also did you ensure that the connection was tight as I'm sure you are aware a loose connection will soon burn up especially on a heavy load such as immersion heater

Thank you for the reply. I did just use the same flex but took it well back as I had plenty to work with and was careful with the connections. Can you tell me why it is just the neutral wire that is affected?

I have read some posts on other forums about why it only seems to be neutrals that burn up, I myself have not noticed this but there did not seem to be any conclusive answer.Don't know whether any other posters on here might have an idea

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back