Immersion heater test

Softus said:
Except the ones that I measure, that are closer to 19 Ohms. But we're not trying to be accurate, are we? ;)

No we aren't, but I shall not permit you to use inappropriate methods!
One I have here measures 19.763 Ohms, but of course as I'm holding it it's warming up and the resistance changes...
And the exact temperature characteristic would depend on the precise alloy used for the heater wire. ;) ;) ;) ;)

(Try a light bulb some time, by the way)

Sponsored Links
ChrisR said:
Softus said:
Except the ones that I measure, that are closer to 19 Ohms. But we're not trying to be accurate, are we? ;)
No we aren't, but I shall not permit you to use inappropriate methods!
Inappropriate? Moi? :D

whatdo iknow said:
look its a 3kw element and a 230v supply ok?
I very much doubt that. Have you measured your supply voltage recently?
sorry i know what your saying but the official nominal voltage is 230v

yeah i know its 240v but dont tell the french :LOL:

sorry that has to be the calculations

yeah i know :LOL:

whatdo iknow said:
I don't think you do know what I'm saying, because if you did you'd realise that the 'official' voltage is irrelevant.

I don't know what you're referring to as "the calculations", but it has nothing to do with the nominal, official, or actual voltage is.

The element manufacturer specifies a power rating at a stated voltage - those two numbers are the only relevant values.

:idea:

Sponsored Links
whatdo iknow said:
I don't think you do know what I'm saying, because if you did you'd realise that the 'official' voltage is irrelevant.

I don't know what you're referring to as "the calculations", but it has nothing to do with the nominal, official, or actual voltage is.

The element manufacturer specifies a power rating at a stated voltage - those two numbers are the only relevant values.

:idea:

sorry its mto do with the harmonisation of voltages so we can sell it to the french
its 230v ok
please dont argue its the law ok :LOL:

yeah i know what is :LOL:

whatdo iknow said:
whatdo iknow said:
sorry its mto do with the harmonisation of voltages so we can sell it to the french
It has nothing to do with harmonisation. This is a very common misaprehension. It has everything to do with the rating specified by the element manufacturer.

its 230v ok
What is?

Oh very amusing. What are you saying is the law?

And don't think that you deleting your post has erased all knowledge of the nonsense you initially posted, viz:

You said:
with power fully isolated
set meter to resistance.
check resistance thru element, a figure of approx 13 ohm and infinity to earth would indicate a healthy element.

whatdo iknow said:
whatdo iknow said:
It has nothing to do with harmonisation. This is a very common misaprehension. It has everything to do with the rating specified by the element manufacturer.

its 230v ok
What is?

Oh very amusing. What are you saying is the law?

And don't think that you deleting your post has erased all knowledge of the nonsense you initially posted, viz:

You said:
with power fully isolated
set meter to resistance.
check resistance thru element, a figure of approx 13 ohm and infinity to earth would indicate a healthy element.

yes yes so you seek to try and embaress me

ive all ready admited my mistake
and your point is what?

whatdo iknow said:
yes yes so you seek to try and embaress me
No no I seek only accuracy and clarity.

ive all ready admited my mistake
and your point is what?
My point is that you're being inaccurate and unclear.

Is it me or in their desperation to show each other just how clever they are, have these posters forgotten about the OP?

Are you all college lecturers or something? if not, maybe you should consider it.

Actually reducing the stated nominal voltage to 230 vac was to give a wider downwards tolerance to the suppliers.

Nothing actually changed in the supply distribution.

Tony

Actually reducing the stated nominal voltage to 230 vac was to give a wider downwards tolerance to the suppliers.

Nothing actually changed in the supply distribution.

Tony

yes with apologies to all, i had my pedantic head on :oops: ,
they chose 230v so as to harmonise with europe and widened the tollerence, to be fair it can be anything from 230v to 240v.

my mistake was to quote ohms law wrongly, the original figure would give the current not the element restistance, ie voltage over watts

what i should have said was voltage (and you can say 240v or 230v)

voltage squared over wattage at 240v = 19.2 ohm
at 230v = 17.63333 ohm.

sorry the purpose of quoting that figure was because i was trying to deter using a multimeter for live testing purposes

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back