Immersion heater

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi my night time immersion heater has packed in and i don't know weather it is the element or the stat there is definitely power there so it is not that,can anyone tell me how to test them i have a multimeter. thanks

Sponsored Links
Firstly switch off all power at the mains.

Switch your multi-meter to the lowest ohms range.

Remove the fuse (if fitted), and check that its resistance is around zero.

Remove any covers on the heater to reveal the connections.

Connect the multi-meter across the large terminals on the heater (not the earth connection). The meter should read a low value, something like 10 to 20 ohms. If the meter read a very high value, or indicates overload (OL) the heater is faulty.

Repeat the procedure for the thermostat. In this case (assuming the water is cold) the meter reading should be zero. If it's high, then the stat is faulty.

HTH

With your meter connected to the 'stat, turn the temperature adjustment to minimum and maximum. You should see the 'stat switching on and off.

Immersion heaters now incorporate overheat cutouts that require resetting manually if they trip, often by pressing in a button until it latches. For the immersion to work, the cutout (if fitted) should show continuity when tested with a meter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back