Immersion heater test

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

Can anyone give me detailed instructions as to how to use a multimeter to test Immersion heater and thermostat?

What settings do I use on meter etc?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
with power fully isolated
set meter to resistance.
check resistance thru element, a figure of approx 13 ohm and infinity to earth would indicate a healthy element.
240/13 = 18.46 Amps.

What kind of elements are you used to? :confused:

Well the resistance is temperature dependent, so Softus' sum isn't accurate :cool: , but they're normally about 20 Ohms.

sorry im giving the figure for current my faulty maths. :oops: :oops:

should read V2/watts (230v x 230v)/3000w

which = 17.63333 ohm, which is very close to 20 ohm

nominal voltage being 230v element being 3kw

whatdo iknow said:
nominal voltage being 230v element being 3kw
I believe that most elements are rated 3kW at 240V.

ChrisR said:
Well the resistance is temperature dependent, so Softus' sum isn't accurate :cool:
You're quite right of course.

but they're normally about 20 Ohms.
Except the ones that I measure, that are closer to 19 Ohms. But we're not trying to be accurate, are we? ;)

check resistance thru element, a figure of approx 13 ohm and infinity to earth would indicate a healthy element.

That would give a power output of over 4 kW !!! And 18 amps through the 13 amp fuse!

I suggest that about 18 ohms element resistance would be more appropriate for a 3 kW element!

Tony

That would give a power output of over 4 kW !!! And 18 amps through the 13 amp fuse!

I suggest that about 18 ohms element resistance would be more appropriate for a 3 kW element!

Tony

yes and and as you know well as you can read i apologised for giving that wrong figure using a wrong calculation,i confused current for resistance.
primarily because its a formular i would never use.
why?
because i would never do it that way.
but when some asks how to do it with a multimeter, i have to turn and say that no one should ever use a multi meter to perform these forms of testing.
as a live test.
a multimeter is not a recognised test instrument and should not be used when live testing.
so all i can do suggest dead testing techniques

Agile said:
Oh, well spotted.

Have another vat of wine, Agile. :rolleyes:

The difference is that I know from previous regular measurements what results to expect when I test elements.

If I didn't then I could still use Ohm's law to calculate it.

I admit I replied without reading all the other replies others had given!

Tony

whatdo iknow said:
look its a 3kw element and a 230v supply ok?
I very much doubt that. Have you measured your supply voltage recently?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back