Immersion heater tripping water in plastic thermostat cap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Immersion is tripping and I found water , looked like condensation in cap.

I can't see any obvious leaking but there is oxidisation. The top connection looks a bit
20220320_102025.jpg
ropey!

Is more than likely trickling down from that top connection?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
All looks in poor order but start by reducing that water temperature if nothing else you will save money

Unlikely to be condensation - does your hot water tank frequenly get below room temperature ? :)

I don't really see how a weep from the top connection would make it inside the immersion heater cap since it has a raised boss.

That immersion is quite old - it doesn't look like to has a secondary 'anti-boil' cut-out on the thermostat.

The reason its tripping is most likley that the element has split inside the the tank - they only way you'll find that for sure is to remove it. Once you have it out you may as well change it anyway.

Sponsored Links
Unlikely to be condensation - does your hot water tank frequenly get below room temperature ? :)

I don't really see how a weep from the top connection would make it inside the immersion heater cap since it has a raised boss.

That immersion is quite old - it doesn't look like to has a secondary 'anti-boil' cut-out on the thermostat.

The reason its tripping is most likley that the element has split inside the the tank - they only way you'll find that for sure is to remove it. Once you have it out you may as well change it anyway.
No. Not frequently below room temperature. I just thought the water might have dripped down but watched it for 30 min with immersion on and the water tap on and it was dry.It had a good teaspoonful of water I poured out the cap on first inspection. It is old and yeah. I'll get the immersion swapped.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back