immersion heater wiring - need to be cleared up please!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
sorry but i need to clear something up for piece of mind!!

an immersion heater has its own radial circuit from the cinsumer unit, usually rated at 16amps (mcb) - twin and earth runs from this to a double pole-switched socket near the heater? correct? in my socket i have a cartridge fuse, rated at 13amps. in a book i have been reading it says the twin and earth should run to a 21amp double pole switch!!! well mine is only 13amp!! and from this point a 21amp heat-proof flex is run to the immersion heater. well i have a 2.5 mm flex from the socket to the heater, but IF this is 21amp (as standard) then how comes it doesn't blow as my socket is rated at just 13amps!!! i am a bit confused!! probably just being silly though but would like some help!!...??

Sponsored Links
a 3kw heater draws, for arguements sake, 13 amps.

where they got 21 amps from is beyond me. I've never heard of a 21 amp rated circuit. :confused:

And 2.5mm² copper can carry about 26 amps optimum.

thanks Steve. so basically the book was wrong!! a 13 amp fuse is correct in the socket? also, i know a 2.5mm flex is the correct size to use for an immersion heater (so this too being written as 21amp) is incorrect!!

Sponsored Links
Its not a socket. (I hope). It should be a fused connection unit if theres a fuse. 13 amps it correct. And the feed for this should be a 16 amp MCB.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back