Immersion heaters - Left out to dry by plumber

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I own an apartment which has a water tank 2 immersion heaters and a timer.
Recently I have been getting extremely hot water then one day I got no hot water at all. A plumber came round and had a look, my timer appears to be faulty along with one immersion heater always being on the emergency thermostat and the other just totally bust.

Alongside this the top one was leaking slightly on to the bottom. The plumber was meant to get me a price for some parts and come and fit them however my efforts to get in touch have proved rather difficult so I would like to purchase and have a go at fitting these myself.

I have purchased a new timer however I believe I require 2 full new immersion heaters along with a new rubber seal of some description to stop the top one leaking. Can anyone help me out since I am clueless what to get?

My tank has the dimensions:

Diameter 50cm
Height 90cm

I have attached images of the specs and immersion heaters themselves. Any help is much appreciated!

Sponsored Links
You have an un-vented direct hot water cylinder!

This must be serviced and repaired by an engineer that is qualified to do so, not just a plumber nor yourself as it can be dangerous if not done correctly. Please confirm whoever does the work has the correct quals (G3/UVHW) before doing the work.

At least I know who I am looking for now and what the system is, that alone is much appreciated :)

Cheers

Quite apart from not knowing what to buy and not being qualified, I dont see that you will have the skills required to do anything anyway.

I know that the common perception is that plumbers are thick and uneducated but the reality is that a considerable amount of knowledge and experience is required to work on many appliances as well as the qualification!

Tony

Sponsored Links
+1 for Rob's advice. Those things are good but can potentially be a timebomb if not maintained properly! :eek:

You may also like to note, immersions don't always want to come out without a fight, and it is easy to damage the cylinder trying. Any cylinder is expensive to replace. the unvented type more so! :cry: It is not unknown for a blowlamp to be required to remove a really stubborn immersion!

The cylinder is only eight years old and I would expect that the element will come out without too much trouble for anyone who has the right tools.

I use a 36" stillson on a socket fitting and that is usually adequate. It it will not unscrew then the cylinder is likely to bend and usually fail and have to be replaced.

Tony

The 36" and the socket are too heavy to carry on public transport.

I also have a 5' stillson which I used to use on 2" screwed pipework.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back