Immersion radial re-use.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have a 16A radial circuit which goes to a 3 pin socket in the airing cupboard for a 3KW (just short of I think) immersion heater to plug into via a 13A plug.

Firstly, if I remember correctly, this is a 2.5mm cable run. Can I up the mcb to 20A without issue?

Secondly, can I take another socket off the end of this radial, i.e. two in total, off what would be then (assuming the above) a 20A supply?.

We don't use the immersion heater but would want to leave the socket there just in case on the off chance the immersion was needed but may potentially plug a 2KW oil filled radiator into it infrequently instead. The other socket would be used to power a PC and a coupe of aerial amps up in the attic via a 13A trailing socket/extension lead etc.

On a related note... There is currently a fluorescent tube up in the attic on a switched spur off the lighting circuit (I assume) - just an inline switch. I want to remove that light and change it to a few individually switchable ccfl's in the future. When/if I fit the power socket, change the mcb above etc., at the same time I'm thinking of changing the existing attic light switch for a 5A lighting socket (switchable) and plugging the existing tube in via a small 5A round pin plug for the time being. That way, when I come to change the tube for the ccfl's in the future I can just isolate it/them by unplugging the cable rather than having to switch the mains off again. It also allows me to still isolate all of them for normal switching and if I change the lighting arrangement up there again. Any issues with this plan?

Thanks. :D

Sponsored Links
Define what you mean by CCFLs. Is the attic habitable? Or just storage? Why do you want shut of the fluorescent lamp?

Standard ccfls - in this case GU10 halogen replacements. Actually, may initially use the halogens.

Attic is boarded but not insulated, storage area, 'habitable' as far as a greenhouse, garden shed or garage is habitable. Will have a PC server up there, plus a couple of aerial amps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back