Attic lighting & sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, just looking for some advice on fitting a couple of sockets and a light in my loft. I have it floored and just wanted to make a small office work space.
I have a feed from my consumer unit to an unused fused switch in the cupboard below my attic where the old water tank used to be and think it was a feed for immersion heater. The consumer unit MCB for this is 16A.
If I changed the MCB to a 20A, could I then use the spur for the water immersion to feed a couple double sockets on a radial circuit and take a feed to a light? Any advice welcome, regards Paul

Sponsored Links
yeap good idea. fuse lights down with 3A spur if you do that.

or take the light feed off existing light circuit if you can get access. (usefull if you don't have windows in the loft. If you overload the sockets, you won't be in darkness)
But with a 20A mcb, you are unlikely to overload it

Leave the MCB at 16 Amp. that might the current rating of the cable from consumer unit to the switch.

16 Amps ( almost 4kW ) would be enough for an office.

Take the supply for the lights from a different MCB ( such as the upstairs lighting circuit ) so that you are not left in the dark if the MCB trips

EDIT Andy beat me to it.

Sponsored Links
I have it floored and just wanted to make a small office work space.
I have a feed from my consumer unit to an unused fused switch in the cupboard below my attic where the old water tank used to be and think it was a feed for immersion heater. The consumer unit MCB for this is 16A.

Unless it is well insulated, it will be horrendously hot in summer and freeing cold in winter. Even if insulated, you will need a window in summer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back