Immersion seems stuck on, but off at fuse box

Sponsored Links
I don't believe the electric immersion element is doing it. Anyway, the cap of yours is scorched which is a bad sign so there may be a fault.

Is the tapwater scalding hot?

yes, it has been - in the evenings when I’ve run the tap for a minute or so it got really hot.

Look at the rectangular silver box with three pipes going into it in a T shape.

Which of the pipes is hot?

None at the moment. When I’ve checked before it’s been the top pipe out of the green tank but that isn’t hot at the moment which would suggest you’re right to say that the immersion isn’t on constantly.

Can you feel or hear the green pump running?

No, tbh I thought that was the pump for the electric shower.

Observe the cream thermostat on the side of the cylinder. Turn it down to the lowest possible sagging. Does it click?

Nope, nothing.

Does the silver box whir and the pump stop?

Negative!

If not, turn the stat down further, then all, the way up. Any click?

No sound from it at all.

(When you have finished, reset it to 60)

When was the silver box replaced, and that horrible cable patch covered in yellow tape done?

Before we moved in, years ago.

I think you’re right about the immersion.

Maybe it was left on timer (or the timer is faulty) or not turned off properly… I don’t know.

It’s certainly not hot now; I ran the hot taps earlier to use all the hot water and see if heated again automatically when it refilled, but as yet no - still cold.

So really not sure what happened the last few days, but thank you and to everyone that replied with suggestions and advice. I’m not particularly practical with things like this so I appreciate you taking the time.

I don't believe the electric immersion element is doing it. Anyway, the cap of yours is scorched which is a bad sign so there may be a fault.

Is the tapwater scalding hot?

yes, it has been - in the evenings when I’ve run the tap for a minute or so it got really hot.

Look at the rectangular silver box with three pipes going into it in a T shape.

Which of the pipes is hot?

None at the moment. When I’ve checked before it’s been the top pipe out of the green tank but that isn’t hot at the moment which would suggest you’re right to say that the immersion isn’t on constantly.

Can you feel or hear the green pump running?

No, tbh I thought that was the pump for the electric shower.

Observe the cream thermostat on the side of the cylinder. Turn it down to the lowest possible sagging. Does it click?

Nope, nothing.

Does the silver box whir and the pump stop?

Negative!

If not, turn the stat down further, then all, the way up. Any click?

No sound from it at all.

(When you have finished, reset it to 60)

When was the silver box replaced, and that horrible cable patch covered in yellow tape done?

Before we moved in, years ago.

I think you’re right about the immersion.

Maybe it was left on timer (or the timer is faulty) or not turned off properly… I don’t know.

It’s certainly not hot now; I ran the hot taps earlier to use all the hot water and see if heated again automatically when it refilled, but as yet no - still cold.

So really not sure what happened the last few days, but thank you and to everyone that replied with suggestions and advice. I’m not particularly practical with things like this so I appreciate you taking the time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back