Immersion tank only half fills after moving it

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Moved the immersion tank (eco 7 electric only) today - about 3 foot sidewards and turned the loft tank 90 degrees to make plumbing it back in easier.

On completion let the loft tank fill slowly and checked for leaks - all good - so started tiding up while monitoring. After a while I notice the loft tank level was going up - so assume the immersion had filled and tried the hot taps - nothing. After a bit of fiddling around I loosened the outlet at the top of the immersion tank (slowly) to check if there was water there - nothing, turned the feed valve off and undid the outlet all the way - no water. Peered into immersion with a torch - only half full - opened feed valve - nothing flowing. Scratched head a bit.

Drained the immersion tank again, disconnected, moved it sidewards and put the feed pipe in a bucket and turned the feed valve on - lovely healthy flow. Reassambled and packed in for the night.

The only thing I can think of is that for some reason the feed pipe only has enough head to fill the tank up to 18ins.

Suggestions please!

Going to re-try filling it tomorrow to see if running a bucket of water though the feed pipe did anything to help.

Sponsored Links
Check inlet into the tank is clear, otherwise cant see any reason why it would fill half way. You have reconnected the vent pipe I presume?

Check inlet into the tank is clear, otherwise cant see any reason why it would fill half way. You have reconnected the vent pipe I presume?
Forgot to say - poked my finger in the inlet and nothing obstructing there.

Yes vent re-connected (used most of the same pipework) - trapped air in the tank did cross my mind, but nothing happened when I undid the outlet (can't get much more venting than that).

Sponsored Links
If the cylinder won't fill with the outlet disconnected, then there has to be a problem with the feed supply.....maybe a blockage or an airlock?
When the loft tank is filling, make sure that its outlet pipe doesn't become exposed so it can gulp air in.
If the copper cylinder is nearly at the same level as the loft tank, then filling could be a little slow - but it will get there.
John :)

If the cylinder won't fill with the outlet disconnected, then there has to be a problem with the feed supply.....maybe a blockage or an airlock?
When the loft tank is filling, make sure that its outlet pipe doesn't become exposed so it can gulp air in.
If the copper cylinder is nearly at the same level as the loft tank, then filling could be a little slow - but it will get there.
John :)
Well both tanks were empty when I started filling so the loft tank outlet will have been uncovered - so plenty of opportunity to gulp air. That said the pipe run is a short horizontal then a vertical drop to the immersion inlet - not much opportunity for air locks, but you never know. Loft tank is full now, so will see what happens when I refill tomorrow.

Cheers

We I re-filled this afternoon from a full loft tank and all was fine - must have been a weird airlock or and a temp blockage. Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back