Immersion thermostat reset

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
immersion_thermostat.jpeg

This isn't mine. Apparently it stopped working, so I suggested checking for a reset button. Response: "The reset thing doesn't seem to be a button but I did poke it. We'll see what happens".

Can anyone who is familiar with these things confirm that that square hole above the word "RESET" is a button that can be pressed, and perhaps comment on how hard you need to poke it? Does it only become "pokable" once it has popped out, or something? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
It's a thermal cut out basically ,if the thermostat fails it trips out. Trying to reset it without establishing why it intervened isnt the thing to do . Usually they pop up ,and push down to reset ,and it doesn't take much pressure to do it.
The element and the stat need to be tested for voltages present and resistance ,to establish why it's not working.

Thanks. It sounds like it hadn't popped up, so the issue is probably elsewhere.

If it has tripped out, it could be to do with the ambient temperature where the cylinder is stored. If it gets too hot underneath the immersion cap then it will cut out.
If its in an airing cupboard, remove all towels etc, leave the door open to provide ventilation for a day or so and this should tell you whether it is the ambient temperature or not so you can eliminate this.

Sponsored Links
Yes, thanks, I understand the issues. This is not my immersion; I was asked for advice and wasn’t sure whether the reset ought to have some discernible motion or click when pressed or not.

yes if it has actuated you will feel a click when you reset it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back