Immersion thread warped / not flat

I cant get it to turn with it less than 2 washers. When it gets near the bottom it gets very tight, i tried going further twice and i feel it pop out the thread
Would it be possible to use PTFE tape or sealant on the threads? Preferably non-hardening sealant in case of future removal, but even with something like Bosswhite, if all the gubbins are removed from the top of the immersion, it should be possible to warm things up without doing any damage.

Sponsored Links
Would it be possible to use PTFE tape or sealant on the threads? Preferably non-hardening sealant in case of future removal, but even with something like Bosswhite, if all the gubbins are removed from the top of the immersion, it should be possible to warm things up without doing any damage.
I would not use ptfe in this kind of situation, you are more likely to cross thread or more thread slip. Remember this is a case where the head is warped.
As per my update I went with lsx as it's not the threads you want to seal it's the flange to the immersion, which the fibre washer will do a perfect job if it's flat, but this case it's not.

Lsx can be broken apart very easily as soon as it's undone but will create a seal pushed in to all the gaps i had.

I would not use ptfe in this kind of situation, you are more likely to cross thread or more thread slip. Remember this is a case where the head is warped.
As per my update I went with lsx as it's not the threads you want to seal it's the flange to the immersion, which the fibre washer will do a perfect job if it's flat, but this case it's not.

Lsx can be broken apart very easily as soon as it's undone but will create a seal pushed in to all the gaps i had.
OK, I appreciate it's the threads that need sealing, not the flange if the faces don't meet properly.

Sponsored Links
As the cylinder is being replaced - I would cut away the insulation round the flange exposing the copper then try a Essex flange for immersion heater - cutting the flange its self out with a multi tool. Nothing to lose maybe ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back