lower immersion heater tripping fuse box. grrrrr

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all

Sorry if there is another post covering this but I couldn't find the specific answer I am looking for. Please go easy with the jargon if you think you can help as I am new to this and won't understand it.

I bought a new build flat just over 2 years ago and am now experiencing my first problem with the hot water system tripping the fuse box when the timer kicks in.

I have a Stanton premier plus unvented cylinder. A horstmann electronic 7 control box that runs upper and lower immersion heaters. Ill try to upload pictures.

The boost button controls the upper immersion and this works fine so I removed the lower one and as it appeared coated I thought this may be the issue. So I ordered up one as per the existing, wired it in and it is still immediately tripping the fuse box (which turns off half the lights and plugs around the flat)

I then thought it may be the control box but when the lower immersion is disconnected the timer kicking in does not trip the fuse box (maybe this doesn't prove anything?)

Can anyone suggest what else it could be worth looking at? Seems unlikely the wiring would all of a sudden fail?

I am reluctant to call out a plumber /electrician just yet as santon wanted £215 and it doesn't really have many components.

Thanks for your help
Darren

Sponsored Links
...tripping the fuse box when the timer kicks in....
So I ordered up one (a heater, I presume) as per the existing, wired it in and it is still immediately tripping the fuse box (which turns off half the lights and plugs around the flat)

I then thought it may be the control box but when the lower immersion is disconnected the timer kicking in does not trip the fuse box (maybe this doesn't prove anything?)

Darren, I assume it's the RCD (one of two) on the fuseboard that's tripping.
It seems you have changed the immersion heater already (not going into the reasons why you shouldn't have now), this should have cost around £100 from Santon. There is a two pole thermostat attached to it. Did you change this also?
Come to think of it, did you ONLY change the thermostat (priced around £40)? In which case the original fault is still there, the broken immersion heater element.

Hi MeldrewsMate, thanks for your response.

going by what you have said I only changed the thermostat. It cost 35 and just slid in.

What should I look into next?

Am I going to be capable?

Cheers
D

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back