Immersion Heater failed - Economy 7

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,
The lower immersion heater has failed but the upper booster one is working fine.

Is it OK to wire the upper heater to the Economy 7 switch so that the upper heater comes on and off on the night timer?

(I'll replace the lower immersion heater at a later date when I have time).

So is it ok to do this? I can't see why it wouldn't be, but is there something I'm overlooking?

Sponsored Links
You can do it but you won't get a bath full of water from it.

Drain down and replace both immersions.

Andy

It might just be the thermostat thats failed, try swopping them round and at least you will get a tank of hot water.

some have a reset button them. check that out too.
sometimes they dont look like a reset button :oops:

Sponsored Links
I checked for continuity across the terminals of thermostat and it was closed circuit.
Resistance across the element came up with several mega ohms so I'm thinking the element has had it? Would you agree? The Nutural wire is slightly blackened at the connector too (at the heater end, not the switch end).

I realise this will only give half a tank but hopefully this will be enough for general daily use.

Only intend for this this to be a short term sollution (that will probably stay that way for months!!) but wanted to check that there isn't a technical/safety reason why I shouldn't do it.

No safety reason why you can't do what you propose - however it won't be worth it.
The top part of the cylinder will contain barely enough water to wash a sinkful of teacups, and although using the night rate electricity will be cheaper, it will literally be pennies a day saved.

Drain and replace now, while you can plan a suitable time to do it.
Otherwise the top one will fail and leave you with no hot water at all. You will then find all of the local vendors have mysteriously sold out of immersion heaters, the lower heater is rusted in, the cylinder tears when removing it, etc.

Thing is, this is on a rental house. Tenant said he's likely to leave when contract expires (about 2 months time) so I was hoping to do this job then.

The failed heater already looks likes it's rusted on so I'm not expecting it to come out without a fight.

So I'd like to take this on once the tenant leaves.

(If the job goes horribly wrong and I crease/split the tank, I might just use it as an opportunity to install gas c/h).

With regards to how much hot water this will give, surely it will warm the hole tank up as it will be on for a full seven hours through the night?

fraid not, you'll only get hot water from the level of the second immersion heater upwards, its only meant as a booster but you could try it and see if the tenant complains about lack of hot water, some tenants wash more than others ;)

Well there's an electric shower fitted in the bath so they can wash ok. I guess they just wont be able to run a bath.

Will see how they get on with it for a few days.

Thanks for all the responses guys.

Any tips for removing a rusted in immersion heater?

Heat and or box spanner with 600mm bar. Try and undo the immersion when it is full of water as the weight will help hold the cylinder in place. Only undo by 1/2 a turn then drain down, this is the longest part of the work. Make sure your hose pipe is fitted to the drain cock tightly and place a dust sheet under the drain cock for any leaks/drips.

Andy

Thing is, this is on a rental house. Tenant said he's likely to leave when contract expires (about 2 months time) so I was hoping to do this job then.

Evidently a caring landlord who wants everything to be working for the tenant.

I come across a lot of those!

Why not just call a heating engineer to replace it like any good landlord?

Tony

I've swapped the circuits over so will see how it goes over next couple of days.

Evidently a caring landlord who wants everything to be working for the tenant.

I come across a lot of those!

Why not just call a heating engineer to replace it like any good landlord?

Tony

Tenant tells me that never runs a bath, only uses electric shower. Only needs water from cylinder for washing up and washing hands in bathroom basin.
Plus has some personal issues so doesn't want intrusion in his hone if avoidable at moment.
Its at his request.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back