Imperial size radiators change

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a house with ten old rads with all in imperial sizes.
All new rads are metric and are standard 1000, 1200, 1400 etc etc. This will cause loads of pipework alterations. Does anybody know of a quick solution, without chopping up existing pipework?

Sponsored Links
If new rad isn't as wide ,you can use radiator tail extensions. If new rads wider than old one ,you have to ammend pipework

Sponsored Links
There may be two issues, the width of the new radiators and their distance off the walls.
1. Width, if new narrower than old, can be be solved with tail extenders. If wider, pipework changes needed.
2. Distance off wall (tail centre to wall measurement). If more than a few mm will require pipework changes.

I changed an imperial rad when a plumber was converting my system to sealed/unvented. He just said go down to the nearest 100mm and add a chrome extension piece. I did just that and my extension was about 3”. I just fitted the extension furthest away from the door as you entered the room so not really visiable but if I was ultra fussy and things were on show, I’d have done two 1 1/2” extensions.

I've been through this as a DIYer recently. 7 rads. all imperial sized but most, didn't match with the Myson imperial widths.

So, my rads except 2 were in pretty good condition once removed. So after taking all off wall and hosing out in the outside gully, refitted with new TRVs and or valves. Loctite 55. Bought two replacement rads. Even the tails were in pretty good condition on the remaining 5 after cleaning out with a wire brush.

I had to replace the two mainly due to corrosion on the tail and also broken old type bleed valves.

I had to use extension tails about 10mm each side from memory in the main bedroom.

I also used a 15mm and from memory a 10mm on a large lounge rad after I had adapted the width of the pipework using two elbows to extend the width and then extensions to take it back down to give me enough room to move. Not perfect but it doesn't look too bad.

All this was to avoid lifting top laminate / engineered flooring and floor boards which would have been a better solution.

It all looks ok to good, works better than before. But if I had to make changes to more than 15mm or so to the depth plane as well as width, I think I would just bite the bullet and lift floor coverings and boards.

The other thing is there were a few weeps when I connected and I nipped up all connections which mostly resolved. All 5 old rads are fine, even the old rad BSP to new valve tail. Only the extension piece into the rad leaks on both sides on both rads, so 4 connections! Nothing else, Only ever so slightly but after a week wipe a tissue and there is a residue visible. So rads off and wrap more loctite 55...... Funny how no other connection on any rad leaks using the guidance on the Loctite 55 packet.... I notice the genuine Myson extensions have an o-ring on the end to fit against the rad tail thread housing.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back