Replacing Imperial Radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My husband has removed two imperial sized radiators and is hoping to replace them with metric sized ones. Obviously these are going to come up slightly short.

Am i right in thinking it is as simple as purchasing extensions and fitting them to the old pipework and then to the new radiator and this will work?

also are the diameters of the pipework likely to be standard? (if this makes sense)

also do we need to drain the central heating system before trying to put a new radiator on?

you'll have to excuse my ignorance - i'm no good explaining all this sort of thing, although any help would be greatly appreciated!

thanks

Sponsored Links
Am i right in thinking it is as simple as purchasing extensions and fitting them to the old pipework and then to the new radiator and this will work?

yup i would replace the valves as well but thats your call

also are the diameters of the pipework likely to be standard? (if this makes sense)

yes

also do we need to drain the central heating system before trying to put a new radiator on?

not if your not going to change the valves and they hold water

you'll have to excuse my ignorance - i'm no good explaining all this sort of thing, although any help would be greatly appreciated!

you have explained it well enough

and remember

we all have to learn ;)

thankyou so much kev!!!

i know exactly how to do it in my head - in practice it'll be another thing though!!! lol

i'm a good project manager though - so will be shouting instructions at hubby and have a plumbers number to hand if all goes awry!!!! hehe

just out of interest - what's the benefit of replacing the valves?

i'm a good project manager though - so will be shouting instructions at hubby and have a plumbers number to hand if all goes awry!!!! hehe

yeh keep the kettle on ;)

just out of interest - what's the benefit of replacing the valves?

the old ones might well be passing

you could also replace them with thermostatic valves to reg the temp :idea:

and if you do decide to it might be an idea to put some cleanser in the system

if you have imperial rads it must be getting on a bit

(ain't we all :LOL: )

Sponsored Links
you make it sound so easy!!!!

but then i guess it would be to you if you're a plumber!

don't be surprised if i'm back on here, trying to get advice about a rapidly flooding house lol

:LOL:

The extensions screw into the new radiators, then the rad valve tails go into the extensions, so in theory you don't need to touch any pipe work at all ;)

don't be surprised if i'm back on here, trying to get advice about a rapidly flooding house lol

:LOL:

A submersible pump is good for that, at least you can keep the 1st floor dry.

Until it gets in the sparky bits :rolleyes:

Don't Myson still make imperial sized radiators?... Just thought that it might life a tad easier.

Don't Myson still make imperial sized radiators?... Just thought that it might life a tad easier.

yes they do - but haven't located anywhere that sells their imperial ones

i need

600 x 1170
600 x 1275
600 x 1330
600 x 1550

hence the predicament i'm in and why we're going to change to metric

but then i guess it would be to you if you're a plumber!

thats a blatan't lie put about by DIA to discredit me

just googled DIA - and come up with Driving Instructors Association or Drug Information Association! or is that Defence Intelligence Agency! lol

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back