Imperial to metric

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
My dad wants new radiators fitted, but his current 1s are old and and the radiators and all pipe work will be imperial, as new stuff is all metric ive told him its not as straight forward as just changing a radiator. Is there a imperial to metric converter on the market in compression fittings? Ive seen the push fit connectors but would rather use compression fittings. Also is there any way to work out what size radiator to fit to a room? I'm thinking bigger is better but that isn't always the case.

Thanks
Dan

Sponsored Links
1/2" to 15mm should be fine.
3/4" to 22mm I will require an imperial cone on the old 3/4" copper tube.
So basically use 15mm compression fittings as they come and 22mm compression fittings with a 3/4" olive on the imperial copper.

Thanks, shall he replace radiator size like for like(ish) or are modern radiators somehow give off more heat?

Modern rads will be different from imperial. Best to get bigger as it is easier to hide the pipes under the rad rather than using manky extensions.

Sponsored Links
New rads of the same/similar dimensions to old will usually have a greater heat output.

To find out what the heat requirements of each room will be, best to use a rad sizing calculator. The answer will be in Kw or BTU. Then you can buy rads with the correct output for each room. Best to oversize slightly - by approx. 10% of the output required for each room.

http://www.radcalcer.co.uk/

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back