Impossible problem with neighbors planning

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Okay I’m new here but I think I’m in the right place. Apology’s if not.

So..

I moved to a new house in 2014. Back in 2011 (before I was there) my neighbor opposite applied for planning to convert a cart shed into a holiday let. This was approved and in 2014 (a month ot two before planning expired) the neighbour wrote a letter stating work had commenced. Okay with me so far? All gravy but...

Number 1. I don’t believe material works have ever begun, not before or after the expiration of the planning. Therefore I believe it to be void.

Number 2. If said work did commence (I can literally see it hasn’t) on the date the neighbor said then the planning is in breach of 2 conditions which are agreeing materials and boundaries before work commences. This NEVER happened. Everything on the web just goes dead and the last letter was planning trying to chase them up on it and a further £90 they still owed.

Up until now. Yes in 2018, a full 7 years from the planning being granted and nearly 4 years on from this holiday let apparently being started I just got a letter asking to approve the chosen materials for the project. How can it have even started without materials being agreed!? Am I going insane?

Okay so maybe I just have a gripe or maybe I’m just a sour fruit loop. Or maybe, just maybe I’m a little fed up with being shodded off like rules are for kids. The council just don’t want to know and treat me like some kind of nuisance trying to sabotage some wonderful thing.

The fact of the matter is either the planning is in breach (Which means absolutely FA apparently and is at the mercy of plannings discretion) or it never began in the first place and has expired (which is the more serious of the two). I have written a letter of concern in regards to this just like they told me too but they sent me a 1 sentence email back saying there is no problem currently as the documents say work began before planning expired. They currently have no evidence at all that work has begun and even though I have alerted them that it most likely hasn’t, knowbody cares.

I don’t really know what I’m asking, I think I’m just venting. I don’t really see any other ways to go about this and just feel bummed out that knowbody cares. But that’s just life these days right?

Sponsored Links
Well what do you specifically have a problem with? Are you looking to get their proposal not built? If so why? Or have you some other agenda?

Or are you just having a rant about 'the system'?

You've taken the first step by talking about it. Well done.

Same time next week? I'll put the kettle on.

Meanwhile I saw someone drop some litter yesterday and a car that looked like it was speeding. It may have had no tax or insurance either. I don't know.

I’m sorry did someone say something? The box just says Woodys comment is useless and unhelpful so we have removed it because he is a dick.

Sponsored Links
Well what do you specifically have a problem with? Are you looking to get their proposal not built? If so why? Or have you some other agenda?

Or are you just having a rant about 'the system'?

I’m having a rant yes. I feel like 4 years after moving into a property that suddenly having a holiday let built directly opposite with no say is a swindle. Then I researched all the documents and find out it actually is!

Maybe I’m being brattish but he’s dragged out his planning permission for 7 years by doing nothing and even if he did start work in 2014 it’s just sat there in breach for 4 years. What exactly would it take for them to have to reapply so I can actually have my say in regards to parking ect. It seems to be an ever lasting permission.

If for example they had dug the foundations within the three years and then covered them over that would have officially triggered the application. They could then build one block every year for the rest of time. Why would that be any different to you? Personally I'd sooner my council tax be spent on more useful things than appeasing an individual with sour grapes.

I’m sorry did someone say something? The box just says Woodys comment is useless and unhelpful so we have removed it because he is a dick.
You are seeing a different box to me. Just like you will be seeing a different extension to me, and you will have the full knowledge that they broke all the rules and have twisted the system and you can't do a damn thing about it. And everytime you look at it the extesnion and the owner are laughing at you. And somewhere miles away some bloke is sitting in an armchair chuckling.

Can you imagine getting up on a lovely summer's day, thinking about all the posibilities, slowly drawing open the curtains .... and BAM there it is?

I could earn a living pyschoanalyising this one.

Honestly you are about as funny as Alan Carr. Is existance fun for you? I guess this website is your life... I could spend about a minute psychoanalysing this one. Pathetically sad.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back